PlantFiles: Lotus Vine, Parrot's Beak
Lotus 'Gold Flash'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lotus (LO-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Flash

Thumbnail #6 of Lotus  by palmbob

By jooolster
Thumbnail #7 of Lotus  by jooolster

Positive Ofeliah On Mar 18, 2013, Ofeliah from Mira Loma, CA wrote:

I only learned of this plant about 9 months ago, bought 4 one gallon plants, transplanted them into large planters about two feet high, less than a year later these plants have completely filled the planters and are hanging over completely covering them in the most beautiful moss green carpet that are now filled with radiant yellow and orange beak like flowers. I have hummingbirds that have taken residency in my yard, visiting the plants all day long for their fill of flower nectar! I'm extremely happy with my plant, I had been looking for this Lotus without knowing for a very long time.

Positive kite On May 9, 2004, kite from San Diego, CA wrote:

While I have often purchased large, established hanging baskets of lotus vine, this is the first year I've grown it in my window box from a six-pack of wispy, almost rootless little plants. Planted in December (this is coastal San Diego), they grew steadily and began to bloom in April. I now have hanging vines two feet long with abundant blooms. I find the foliage very attractive, so I wasn't going to sweat it if they didn't bloom. These plants are hummingbird magnets. The only caveat is that they will NOT tolerate drying out -- keep them well-watered. A single instance of over-drying will cause much of the plant to turn brown and die almost immediately. I've never had a plant die of anything but carelessness -- you could probably keep them blooming indefinitely in Zone 11. I have an eastern exposure, which is less sun than typically recommended, but they are doing well nonetheless. I have had no trouble with pests -- aphids are abundant here, but they leave my lotus alone. One of my favorite plants.

Neutral suncatcheracres On Oct 13, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

What a beautiful flowering plant! I'm going to try to grow it, so I did some on-line research and found that it is from the Cape Verde, Canary Island, Tenneriffe areas. It flowers in early Spring through late Summer, and will tolerate down to about 5C degrees--a little above freezing? It is for the "experienced" gardener only and is difficult to get to flower. In the UK seeds can be started anytime from September to May. Tip cuttings can be started in a 50/50 mix of peat/sand, and bottom heat will greatly increase success.

The plant needs to remain moist at all times. Any drying out will cause massive leaf fall, and continued drying out will kill the plant. Aphids are a pest.

It is becoming very popular as a hanging basket plant--trailing stems will reach 30 inches long. US zones are listed on several web sites as 9b-11, the same at here on the PDB, so here in zone 8b I would have to definitely grow it in a greenhouse, but I think it would be worth it!

Positive Gramax On Jul 26, 2003, Gramax from Independence, OR (Zone 9b) wrote:

Have only in container. In the house it dropped its needle like leaves like crazy. On the patio in morning sun with daily water it seems more happy. Trails 30" below container. I'm considering putting it out in the ground. Mine has not bloomed since I got it in June.

Goodyear, Arizona