Ctenanthe 'Brazilian Snow'

Ctenanthe lubbersiana

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Ctenanthe (tee-NANTH-ee) (Info)
Species: lubbersiana (lub-er-see-AH-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Brazilian Snow

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Goleta, California

Gonzales, Louisiana

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Monterey, Tennessee

On Aug 12, 2010, lakelimestone from Jewett, TX wrote:

This plant has been doing wonderfully well since I moved it close to a window. It's put out lots of thick, new growth, but now I notice sticky droplets where the leaves originate. I can't find any pests on it. Is this normal?

On Jun 12, 2010, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant was perfectly happy under my average care over winter inside the house. In spring I cut some of the 'clusters' of new leaves that arise on top of skinny stems. I used rooting hormone, stuck them in moist soil and let them under shade tree, After several weeks (during which they curled at times but recovered with humidity) I had roots on three of five. Roots come right from the sides of the leaf bases, not from the skinny stick like stem, so I would cut that all off in future. Only problem I have is that the variegation I bought it for has gone away, possibly because I don't fertilize well. Otherwise I'd say a very easy plant.

On Oct 14, 2008, Pillita from Keystone Heights, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've had this planted in the ground for years. It dies back each winter and comes up twice as thick each spring. Definitely wants to stay moist and gets crispy in direct sun.

On Nov 8, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

The hardiest of the Ctenanthes available . FAST growing to four feet or so in a pot or in ground.Cold tolerant to near freezing-or a little less with overhead protection.Mine has grown outside for years. Much water,no direct sunlight and a consistent feeding is the formula.

WARNING! this plant is gopher food. Almost all of my plants in ground are gone. Take cuttings

On May 30, 2005, handbright from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Two weeks ago I dug this up out of the garden, and placed it in pots. It was in deep shade all winter in the ground, and began to burn when the sun moved over to the north side of my two story house. I have moved it indoors here in south Florida, and it has grown inside, sending out many new leaves.
Wonderful outside in the winter here, and does really well when brought inside to cooler temps. They are in clay pots with drainage holes, and then in decorative pots, with no drainage hole,( with a layer of pea gravel and charcoal at the bottom of the decorative pot.) Only problem is they get really wide, growing out like a fan and take up floor space! ( but great in a doorway to keep my kids from "cutting through" the dining room...which is the shortest distance between their bedro... read more

On Sep 18, 2003, miseryschild from Monterey, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Mine isn't very old. It was a baby from a much bigger plant my friend gave me. I've had it since 8-29-03. It stays outside right now. The temp here doesn't seem to bother it. It has gotten down between 48* - 50*F a couple times this week. I live on a mountain. I don't know if that makes a difference. Mine has come out of the shock of not only being taken from the mother plant, but being potted on it's own great!!! I do plan on trying the moist peat moss. Mine sure does love water. I can water it tonight and by tomorrow night it will be thirsty again.

On Jul 27, 2003, grayy1 wrote:

This plant requires care:
- no direct sunlight;
- temperatures below 60*C will hurt or kill it;
- may be damaged by sudden temperature fluxuations;
- watered with tepid soft water and mist regularly
- repot or divide in spring every 2 years.

Does best in a bottle garden or surround with wet peat to keep moist and humid. Difficult to culture but well worth the effort; I have had success indoors with it in Canada. Good luck!