Pinwheel Aeonium

Aeonium haworthii

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aeonium (ee-OH-nee-um) (Info)
Species: haworthii (hay-WOR-thee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Sempervivum haworthii

Cactus and Succulents

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Brentwood, California

Lakeland, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Sugar Land, Texas

On Feb 21, 2015, 2QandLearn from Menifee, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I started a row of these & planted them at the end of our MH, many years back. They had grown into bushy, flowering, plants, when they all froze to the ground. It's just too cold for them here, unless kept under some protection. I was given another small plant of this kind, & planted it under our Olive tree a few years ago. It has not frozen. But, my shaded area is limited, so I can't grow lots of any plant that must have that kind of protection.

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I have never been able to get any Aeonium to survive here. I believe it is a combination of the intense heat with high humidity. My garden is in a flood irrigation area (the yard is flooded every two weeks March-November) and although the succulent beds are raised above the water, the humidity is high for a desert climate. A friend in Ajo, Arizona, in the low desert of the southwestern part of the state, has Aeonium haworthii growing in a pot and has given me cuttings. They do fine until summer, but cannot make it through until fall.

On Aug 4, 2009, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Another plant that seems to survive damned near anything. :)

Drought and abuse-tolerant, I see these growing all over the place down here (Valley Village, CA and Los Angeles), probably because of their dry, hot-weather hardiness.

I got mine from the garbage, actually. My In-Laws had been tidying up their yard, and I guess this species had overgrown to the point where they felt they had to thin them out. I found my now growing-happily plant in their garden-recycling. :P I snaked it from that doom and took it home. It seemed a bit withered and dry, so I stuck the end into my big watering can for a couple of days. Seemed to like that. Arial roots are a definite thing with this plant- it will attempt to root anywhere. :)

On May 25, 2008, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is probably the hardiest and easiest of all the Aeoniums to grow. It has small, thick somewhat rough, thick dull green leaves that make rosettes about 2"-3" in diameter. Leaf margins have slight roughness or teeth. Stems are thin, highly branched and woody, often forming arial roots, particularly if getting pot bound or in moist conditions. Extremely easy plant to propagate by just snapping off stems and shoving end in ground. Grows almost too well, and I am having to remove some large shrubs of this from all over the garden where once it was a tiny plant.

Variegated version has a separate entry, but is also highly popular, and called 'Kiwi'.