Tomato 'Sunset's Red Horizon'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunset's Red Horizon
Additional cultivar information:(aka Rostovski, Rostova)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

North Sioux City, South Dakota

University Place, Washington

Belmont, West Virginia

On Feb 24, 2012, kevinitis from Ogden, UT wrote:

I grew this tomato in 2011. The plants were huge with wispy vines. No disease problems for me. They produced a modest crop of huge red oxheart shaped tomatos with excellent flavor. Prodcution was steady through the fall.

On Aug 6, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I really like this tomato! SRH is a very large, red oxheart with a bold flavor and a meaty, creamy texture (with few seeds). The foliage is droopy, but perks up when it cools off in the evening. SRH produces a big crop of tomatoes. My plant got started much later than my others, so I can't speak to its earliness. I would definitely grow SRH again.

On Mar 2, 2009, cardshooter from Belmont, WV wrote:

I bought some seeds from Tomatofest last year and had a very good crop from them. They were early, a good producer, with large size, and good flavor.

On Aug 1, 2007, essier from Germantown, TN wrote:

I planted 2 of these, one in the ground, the other in the Earth Box. I did not get 1 tomato, as they have all had BER. What a disappointment!

On Aug 30, 2003, anioleka from Grants Pass, OR wrote:

The Rostova Tomato, also known now as "Sunset's Red Horizon" is known as “Rostovskaya Krasno Ispolin” in Russia. This Russian name literally translates to mean "Red Giant of Rostov".

Originally, Anioleka Vegetable Seeds Co. discovered this Russian heirloom tomato variety in 2000 in the backyard of Nikolai Peplenov who was a Russian immigrant who moved to Portland, Oregon in 1999. Nik, who was a friend of a friend, immigrated to Portland from the city of Rostov in Southern Russia together with his wife, daughter and a son.

When I met Nik for the first time, what I was confronted with a youthful man in his early 40's who had come to the U.S. speaking only one or two words of English and posessing only the clothes on his back and a few keepsakes, who had in a sh... read more