Rosary Vine, String of Hearts

Ceropegia woodii

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ceropegia (seer-oh-PEEJ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: woodii (WOOD-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Ceropegia linearis subsp. linearis
Synonym:Ceropegia linearis subsp. woodii
Synonym:Ceropegia barbertonensis
Synonym:Ceropegia euryacme
Synonym:Ceropegia schoenlandii

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Tucson, Arizona

Lexington, South Carolina

Rock Hill, South Carolina

Williamston, South Carolina

Athens, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Victoria, Texas

Merrill, Wisconsin

On Nov 17, 2015, seagullwannabe from San Miguel de Allende
Mexico wrote:

I have a rosary vine that since Feb. has grown from 4" to over 4' long. It is usually covered in the little mauve tubular flowers, and I have been looking for the round seed pods I've seen mentioned on every Rosary Vine site, but mine hasn't made the round ones. Instead, on each vine, it makes multiple "V" shaped thin tubes spaced a few inches apart, looking somewhat like longish toothpicks joined at one end at the stem. They have begun to open one by one, letting loose furry dandelion-like wispy things, with a single tiny brown seed on each one. The wind blows and they fly away on the breeze. But not one round seed pod has appeared. Is one perhaps a male and the other a female plant? Surely these must be viable or why would the plant produce them? Can you tell me anything about this? Than... read more

On Aug 31, 2013, jlstoneham from Bowmore, NC wrote:

I inherited this plant from my great grandmother who got it from her parents who brought it from New York when they moved to Illinois after immigrating to America. So it must be well over 150 years old. I have been starting new ones just by putting cuttings in soil. I have seen them grow like crazy in partial shade or mostly sun in the summer. Love this plant!

On Jun 9, 2013, smokeysmudge from geraldton
Australia wrote:

I was given a young plant and told it was impossible to kill, however i succeeded. I am now on my 2nd attempt with a more established plant and all is going well. No flowers yet but i think it is just beautiful in its shape and colour. Mine is outoors in a container, fingers crossed!!

On Feb 9, 2013, sheila51 from Wynndel

I was wondering if anybody knows what the round grey things that are from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch growing on the vines ?
When I cut one open, it was a light fleshly green.

On Oct 30, 2011, Zandy from Spokane, WA wrote:

I have this plant growing in my livingroom. After cutting it back repeatedly I decided to see how long it would grow. It is now 18 feet long with constant blooms. It is quite a converation piece hanging down the wall. It is in a 5" pot and gets watered infrequently. No direct sun just lots of northern light.Very easy :)

On Mar 15, 2010, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have been growing this plant since I was 5, it is THAT easy!
I remember the bulbous growth when I was a child, thinking my plant was sick!

I just bought one again, they fell out of fashion it appears. Hadn't seen one in 20 years, HAD to have when the nursery had one.

Fun plant and very easy indoors or out.

On Jun 5, 2009, haworthialover from Nevada, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant! When I recieved it, the leaves were pretty small. This was late winter. It grew pretty good all winter in a south window. Once we were close to spring the leaves got bigger and it has REALLY started growing! Very fast now. Can't wait to see how long it is by winter.

On Mar 15, 2009, phfurballs from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

First saw this plant in a magazine article, and wanted one for years. Found one eventually, grew for over 10 years in a basket hung close to the ceiling. [Eventually, succumbed to insects while I was too ill to take proper care of it]. I'd cut back some stems periodically to encourage new top growth to fill in, as it tended to drop old leaves eventually, maybe because it got little light near the ceiling. Once or twice a year, chopped a foot or two off the bottom, as it became pale & etiolated near the floor, so far from the window. Currently have a new, beautifully variegated form with pink and creamy white along with the usual colours, on a typical shape leaf.It came growing sort of hydroponically; tall glass vase, pebbles in bottom third,middle third orchid moss, plant in soil on top. D... read more

On Nov 29, 2008, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of my favorite plants. It lovely, easy, interesting.
Easy to propagate by cuttings or by dividing the tubers and also produces seeds which are easy to germinate.

On Nov 28, 2008, msbehavoyeur from Stockton, CA wrote:

I have 2 plants. One grows with a rabbits foot fern the other has volunteer kennelworth ivy growing with it. This year I found 2 volunteer seedlings(in the pots of other plants) Posted seedling pictures.

On Mar 19, 2008, raygray20 from Miami, FL wrote:

Irecieved this plant as a gift, still working with it. I can say one thing, it grows kinda slowly. I love it nonetheless its a great looking plant. I am excited to see it in a few years i read it grows thick and can grow many feet long.

On Aug 14, 2004, QuakingAspen from Bakersfield, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have found that stem cuttings are a good source of propagation.

On Aug 13, 2004, greenlarry from Darlington
United Kingdom wrote:

This is a straggly climber best in a hanging basket.The flowers, while smalll, are of interest, and also the plant is a caudiciform, meaning it has a swollen stem or root system which it uses to store water. These can get quite large after a few years.

On Oct 3, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the easiest plants to transplant. All I did was place it on top of the soil and a couple of days later it had rooted. Also called rosary vine.

On Aug 11, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

My grand-grandma planted these little tubercules 55 years ago on a vase with organic soil and put it on shade. Itīs still there, growing and growing with those silver, dark spotted, heart shaped leaves hanging from a thin, pendant stem.