PlantFiles: Rosary Vine, String of Hearts
Ceropegia woodii

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ceropegia (seer-oh-PEEJ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: woodii (WOOD-ee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Ceropegia linearis subsp. linearis
Synonym:Ceropegia linearis subsp. woodii
Synonym:Ceropegia barbertonensis
Synonym:Ceropegia euryacme
Synonym:Ceropegia schoenlandii

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Cream/Tan

By greenlarry
Thumbnail #6 of Ceropegia woodii by greenlarry

Thumbnail #7 of Ceropegia woodii by PanamonCreel

Positive jlstoneham On Aug 31, 2013, jlstoneham from Bowmore, NC wrote:

I inherited this plant from my great grandmother who got it from her parents who brought it from New York when they moved to Illinois after immigrating to America. So it must be well over 150 years old. I have been starting new ones just by putting cuttings in soil. I have seen them grow like crazy in partial shade or mostly sun in the summer. Love this plant!

Positive smokeysmudge On Jun 9, 2013, smokeysmudge from geraldton
Australia wrote:

I was given a young plant and told it was impossible to kill, however i succeeded. I am now on my 2nd attempt with a more established plant and all is going well. No flowers yet but i think it is just beautiful in its shape and colour. Mine is outoors in a container, fingers crossed!!

Neutral sheila51 On Feb 9, 2013, sheila51 from Wynndel

I was wondering if anybody knows what the round grey things that are from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch growing on the vines ?
When I cut one open, it was a light fleshly green.

Positive Zandy On Oct 30, 2011, Zandy from Spokane, WA wrote:

I have this plant growing in my livingroom. After cutting it back repeatedly I decided to see how long it would grow. It is now 18 feet long with constant blooms. It is quite a converation piece hanging down the wall. It is in a 5" pot and gets watered infrequently. No direct sun just lots of northern light.Very easy :)

Positive mrs_colla On Mar 15, 2010, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have been growing this plant since I was 5, it is THAT easy!
I remember the bulbous growth when I was a child, thinking my plant was sick!

I just bought one again, they fell out of fashion it appears. Hadn't seen one in 20 years, HAD to have when the nursery had one.

Fun plant and very easy indoors or out.

Positive haworthialover On Jun 5, 2009, haworthialover from Nevada, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant! When I recieved it, the leaves were pretty small. This was late winter. It grew pretty good all winter in a south window. Once we were close to spring the leaves got bigger and it has REALLY started growing! Very fast now. Can't wait to see how long it is by winter.

Positive phfurballs On Mar 15, 2009, phfurballs from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

First saw this plant in a magazine article, and wanted one for years. Found one eventually, grew for over 10 years in a basket hung close to the ceiling. [Eventually, succumbed to insects while I was too ill to take proper care of it]. I'd cut back some stems periodically to encourage new top growth to fill in, as it tended to drop old leaves eventually, maybe because it got little light near the ceiling. Once or twice a year, chopped a foot or two off the bottom, as it became pale & etiolated near the floor, so far from the window. Currently have a new, beautifully variegated form with pink and creamy white along with the usual colours, on a typical shape leaf.It came growing sort of hydroponically; tall glass vase, pebbles in bottom third,middle third orchid moss, plant in soil on top. Despite succulent nature, it seems content with this arrangement. Have seen at least 2 other distinctly different forms for sale in my area, [ Mississauga, Toronto, Ontario] in past few years. One with large, thicker leaves, more than an inch across, usual shape,thicker stems, shows up once in awhile. Another,very common, has much narrower, sharply pointed leaves. Aside from form, no obvious cultural differences. Grows from cuttings, but I've only had success if they have at least one wee tuber on them. Though I've read tubers are not necessary for cuttings to grow, it has not been my experience. Plants do best with regular watering, a bit less in winter, though they can manage quite awhile without, especially if the basal tubers are substantial, & it can come back from healthy basal tubers even if the rest has died back, and possibly even from a stem tuber if it is still plump. Needs plenty of good bright light if you want the unusual blooms. West window works for mine here.

Positive mjsponies On Nov 29, 2008, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of my favorite plants. It lovely, easy, interesting.
Easy to propagate by cuttings or by dividing the tubers and also produces seeds which are easy to germinate.

Positive msbehavoyeur On Nov 28, 2008, msbehavoyeur from Stockton, CA wrote:

I have 2 plants. One grows with a rabbits foot fern the other has volunteer kennelworth ivy growing with it. This year I found 2 volunteer seedlings(in the pots of other plants) Posted seedling pictures.

Positive raygray20 On Mar 19, 2008, raygray20 from Miami, FL wrote:

Irecieved this plant as a gift, still working with it. I can say one thing, it grows kinda slowly. I love it nonetheless its a great looking plant. I am excited to see it in a few years i read it grows thick and can grow many feet long.

Positive QuakingAspen On Aug 14, 2004, QuakingAspen from Bakersfield, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have found that stem cuttings are a good source of propagation.

Positive greenlarry On Aug 13, 2004, greenlarry from Darlington
United Kingdom wrote:

This is a straggly climber best in a hanging basket.The flowers, while smalll, are of interest, and also the plant is a caudiciform, meaning it has a swollen stem or root system which it uses to store water. These can get quite large after a few years.

Positive nipajo On Oct 3, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the easiest plants to transplant. All I did was place it on top of the soil and a couple of days later it had rooted. Also called rosary vine.

Positive Monocromatico On Aug 11, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

My grand-grandma planted these little tubercules 55 years ago on a vase with organic soil and put it on shade. Itīs still there, growing and growing with those silver, dark spotted, heart shaped leaves hanging from a thin, pendant stem.

Tucson, Arizona
Lexington, South Carolina
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Williamston, South Carolina
Athens, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Victoria, Texas