PlantFiles: Leek
Allium porrum 'King Richard'

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: porrum (POH-rum) (Info)
Cultivar: King Richard

Thumbnail #1 of Allium porrum by Weezingreens

Thumbnail #2 of Allium porrum by Weezingreens

Thumbnail #3 of Allium porrum by Weezingreens

Positive DaveH On Oct 23, 2003, DaveH from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I've grown leeks in my garden for 25 years, and King Richard is the best variety I've ever found. They're large, very long, and tasty. I've grown them in western Oregon and San Francisco, where winters are very mild, and they easily last all winter and into spring. They do have some tendancy to bolt in the fall here, but their size more than makes up for that.

Unfortunately, the seed is getting hard to find in catalogs any more, so I have to save my own.

Positive Weezingreens On Oct 1, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

King Richard leeks are an excellent choice for short season climates. They mature in 125 days, 70 days from set out. As with other leeks, they have a mild flavor somewhere between garlic and onion, making them a welcome addition to soups, or sauteed as a side dish.

Leeks should be started from seed indoors as early as January in order to serve as a summer crop.

Peel, Arkansas