PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Dr. Wyche's Yellow'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Dr. Wyche's Yellow

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by JefeQuicktech

By Suze_
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Positive DawnBirdsong On May 15, 2011, DawnBirdsong from Albany, OR wrote:

I love this tomato. It has been extremely productive for me year after year, with a large yield of huge heavy fruits. In spite of lots of water, the fruits were very flavorful and fruity. This tomato tends to catface, but not crack. It is a superb canner! In spite of the catfacing it peals easily
and is very meaty with enough seeds to perk up the flavor and the canned tomatoes keep a gorgeous golden yellow color with great fruity tomato taste, but not too acidic.

Positive rwouhaybi On Mar 12, 2010, rwouhaybi from Portland, OR wrote:

Very tasty tomato. More orange than yellow. Poor production though, my plant produced 3 or 4 tomatoes in 2009.

Positive Ozark On Jan 12, 2009, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew Dr. Wyche's in 2007, and I liked it enough that I'll plant it again in 2009. I grew it beside Kellogg's Breakfast that season, and for a yellow/gold I liked Dr. Wyche's a lot better.

This plant was in the lower (wetter) end of my garden on a soaker hose, and I think my production was good because it likes a lot of water. I got 40+ large to very-large tomatoes off the one enormous 7' plant. It's late-producing, there were some green shoulders, and there was some cracking. It's not a real pretty tomato - it's flat, oblate, and knobby, but the flavor is complex and just great. That's why I'm growing it again.

Neutral IO1 On Aug 2, 2008, IO1 from Waaaay Down South, GA wrote:

I gave this tomato a neutral rating only because of the small yields which this plant produces. The ones I got were delicious and quite surprising with their fruity flair. I always thought a yellow tomato would be bland, but Dr. Wytches proved me wrong.

Positive Suze_ On Jun 13, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of the best yellow/gold varieties, a favorite. Usually low productivity for me.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Just wanted to add this bit of interesting (at least I think so) history from the SSE catalog: "Given to SSE by the late Dr. John Wyche, one of SSE's earliest members. Dr Wyche used to own Cole Bros circus which overwintered in Hugo OK. He fertilized his terraced mountain-top gardens with elephant manure and scattered lion and tiger waste to keep out deer and rabbits."

I just loved this story!

Neutral blameitonkarma On Nov 26, 2005, blameitonkarma from Lancaster, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

As has already been noted, this tomato doesn't produce a lot of fruit. In fact, I got a grand total of 2 tomatoes from mine. Could be that it doesn't like the hot, dry conditions in the California high desert.

Of the two yellow varieties that I grew, Chuck's Yellow Beefsteak far outperformed Dr. Wyche's.

Positive JefeQuicktech On Oct 25, 2005, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

If you want a tomato with loads of fruit, this one is not for you. However, if you can devote space for a plant to give you a few really tasty yellow tomatoes with (as noted above) a tropical flair, then you will like the Dr. Wyche's Yellow.

Positive Pala On Oct 2, 2002, Pala from Olympia, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am usually not very impressed with many yellow tomatoes. In the past they have seemed rather bland in general. Not the prettiest tomato as the skin has almost a matt finish and very little gloss to it. However, once tasted, it ranks as superb. Dr. Wyche's Yellow was the favorite so far of family members with it's sweet, smooth and firm texture. It may look a little like a mango, but it also smacks of tropical fruits when you taste it! Very interesting and complex. Not a very high yielding tomato, yet certainly worth growing for the experience. Needs plenty of water; does not like dry conditions. (I tried two different environments for my experiment). Highly recommended!

Quartz Hill, California