Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Amish Paste'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Amish Paste

Ogden, Utah

Front Royal, Virginia

Willis Wharf, Virginia

On Jul 23, 2013, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is my first year growing tomatoes.

I have staked and pruned all of them.

The yield seems to be low compared to my other tomato plants of equal height. Nearly 2 feet of the middle of the plant has no fruit at all.

On Sep 11, 2011, GardenQuilts from Pocono Mountains, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I was unimpressed with the flavor and texture of this tomato, but it is fine for sauce. I also grew Roma tomatoes which where better tasting and much more prolific.

On Dec 24, 2010, Summerhawk from Eastern Shore of Virginia, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the best tasting paste tomato that I have encountered.
A"heavy" meaty tomato with few seeds. I believe that it's flavor is superior to most tomatoes that I have grown out of about 100 self tested heirloom varieties. I love tomatoes. I really love this tomato for its outstanding flavor and yield. It is a vigorous plant and will need support. Produces until frost. Great for fresh eating! A must for sauces and salsa! This tomato will inspire you to cook and can... This tomato will inspire you to buy bigger plates for bigger salads:) This is a seed to save, if you grow it you know it! Grows well in zone 7.

On Jun 18, 2007, Spriggin from Selma, OR wrote:

I have grown this tomato from seed for many years and feel that it is the best canning and fresh eating variety ever. The plants are vigorous and bear until a killing frost. We enjoy the flavor very much. I have had great crops from 4 year-old seed so I don't have to buy new every year.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Rated as the second best tasting variety at the 2006 Heirloom Tomato Tasting at Heritage Farm. Amish heirloom discovered in Wisconsin.

I am planning on growing this one this summer and will report back the results.

On Jun 2, 2006, farmerboy from Central Point, OR wrote:

I grew Amish Paste in the Garden and one in the green house. The garden plants production was acceptable, but not outstanding, and the plants did not recover well from hot or dry spells. The fruit texture was firm, and the flavor was equal to other Romas. The Greenhouse plant grew 15 ft. tall and produced buckets of tomatos up to Dec. Some of the fruit reached 1/2 pound and lost their Roma shape. The big tomatoes became heart shaped. Green house fruit was soft and and bland tasting.

On Oct 1, 2005, pooklette from Janesville, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I tried this variety for the first time this year and was extremely impressed. Here in zone 5 I got huge yields from these. I consider that fairly impressive considering we had a freak cold snap in June that was followed immediately by a month and a half of blistering hot drought conditions. The plants stayed happy and healthy despite the weather extremes.

I cannot say much about the flavor of these tomatoes because I rarely eat fresh tomatoes so I really have no frame of reference. I will say that they made gallons of fabulous marinara sauce though. Their large size made them quite easy to process for sauce.

On Jun 16, 2005, duraki from Bryan, TX wrote:

Was surprised how good this plant did in the Texas heat. It is big and healthy after 3 weeks of mid-upper 90s. Not setting fruit though. Yields were VERY low here, but every fruit was huge and tasty. I would recommend this variety for TX gardeners as a novelty.

On Dec 1, 2004, suzy_qu3 from East Chatham, NY wrote:

I have great results with this one. The best paste tomato I've grown becasue its not dry and cardboardy tasting. I need an extra long stake. The vine grows up and over a six foot stake by about two feet every year.

On Nov 14, 2004, momof2d from Des Moines, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

We had many Amish Paste tomatoes, no disease, no blight. Heavy fruit - sometimes double. I cannot comment on the flavor (dont like tomato's) but my husband thought they had nice flavor.

On Oct 18, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I've given this tomato 4 years to impress me. For my taste buds it is average at best. Two aspects will likely put it on my “do not grow again” list: 1) relatively tasteless, 2) inconsistent ripening which produces a completely ripe fruit but an unripe section on the stem end.

On the other hand, if you like a really mild flavor (for me that means tasteless), good producer, tall vine, and very meaty, dry-fleshed fruit, then this may be one for you to check out. I have relatives that love the fruit. It dries very easily in a dehydrator.

On May 31, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Just average in production and taste. There's lots of varieties out there that 'wow' me...this one just isn't it.

It is good for paste and drying...but again, there's others out there that do better in West KY than this one. I think it may just be conditions that give such a wide variety of opinions...it seems to do better in cooler temps....and that's most definitely not West KY in the summer!

On Dec 30, 2003, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This one grew great in NH. Was my main-crop tomato, very prolific with great taste and no problems.

On Sep 27, 2003, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I will grow this one again it is firm and solid.Grown Inside A hoop house planted in the ground production was twice that of the one grown outside.

Taste was slightly sweet and was exceptional for salsa,

skin was clear and bright inside hoop house but tended to show orange spots outside.

Both plants had good strong foilage and no sign of ber.

On Aug 26, 2003, maxcastree from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I have grown Amish Paste tomatoes hydroponically for 12 years now, and they are the most delightful tasting tomato I have ever grown. Far too good to be making tomato sauce or paste with this variety.

On Feb 6, 2003, owlwrite from Albany, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

Maybe it just likes a cooler climate? Here in west-central Minnesota, we've grown it every year since 1996 and never a hint of anything worse than a little Septoria leaf-spot. I agree that the flavor is a bit "orange" (similar to Caro Rich, maybe), but we put up a lot of cooking sauce with it. Also, as is obvious from the pictures, this little bugger does produce two variants of size, shape and color, usually in the same year and on the same vine. I think it's a space alien.

On Jan 18, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Virtually every fruit on 8 plants developed blossom end rot, all season long.

On Oct 2, 2002, Pala from Olympia, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Good size and texture, not the best yield, and a very odd flavor which I didn't like near as well as some other paste tomatoes I've grown.