Kumquat 'Nagami'

Fortunella margarita

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fortunella (for-tun-NEL-uh) (Info)
Species: margarita (mar-gar-EE-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nagami

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By grafting

Bluffton, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Lexington, South Carolina

On Feb 28, 2015, TrippInn from Chicago, IL wrote:

I have a six foot potted tree here in Chicago, IL. During the cold winters it lives in a room with southern exposure and in the summer sits in full sun. I love the blossoms and fruit. Last year I harvested over 80 kumquats and canned marmalade and candied halves. We also enjoyed them fresh.

On Nov 28, 2011, sa538 from New York, NY wrote:

Hello everyone,
My boyfriend and I recently got a kumquat tree from the Chelsea flower market (in New York) for our apartment. The tree is about 3 feet tall and is now sitting in a south facing, well-insulated window of the apartment. We are very concerned about why it has dropped five perfectly glossy, green leaves in the 3 days since we have brought it home. I have been searching the internet for specific care instructions that give precise indications about caring for a kumquat indoors, but I have not found anything very helpful. Would anyone here have any recommendations or information that might help? Anything you might be able to offer would be deeply appreciated!

On Oct 13, 2010, plantsNfashion from Harper Woods, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've had this plant for almost a year now, and it has been very rewarding to grow! It fruits, and flowers on a regular basis, and even on a very small plant. At the moment it has 15 fruits on a 12 inch plant. Definitely a very impressive little plant!

On Nov 8, 2003, rdbobt wrote:

My Husband received this plant for Christmas last year. As soon as the temperature warmed to nights above 50, it was set in hot sun and bloomed it's little heart out here in zone 8.Cut the fruit in slices or just halves and put in a glass of ice tea.It is not only tasty but pretty.

On Jan 15, 2003, Nitrocld wrote:

This makes a great lunch addition.

On Oct 8, 2002, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Wonderful smallish citrus tree. Bears profusely. Makes a great pre-decorated Christmas tree in subtropical climates. Fruit is eaten out of hand [rind and all] or candied. Also makes very good marmalade.