PlantFiles: Wax Hearts, Sweetheart Hoya, Valentine Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower
Hoya kerrii

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: kerrii (KER-ee-eye) (Info)

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Succulent

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By weeding

Thumbnail #6 of Hoya kerrii by sandy130

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Hoya kerrii by palmbob

Negative cdonnell On Aug 18, 2013, cdonnell from Santa Clara, CA wrote:

I bought what must be a leaf. It has a "living message' carved on it. I have had it for several months and it hasn't done anything. I was led to think it would grow but from what I see here, it isn't going to. Right? The leaf is flat too, not puffed out in any way, but not shriveled and dead or anything. Do I have a "mummy" leaf or something?
Any ideas?

Positive smurfwv On Sep 8, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this hoya, never seen a heart leaf one before. I got a cutting of this in December, and 6 months later got a new shoot on it, 2 feet long, and buds as well. I sure hope it grows more.

On a second note, this hoya is often sold with a single leaf in a pot. Those will never produce a plant because its just a leaf, and not a rooted stem with a axis bud.

Positive biskutmkr1947 On Jan 18, 2010, biskutmkr1947 from Hubert, NC wrote:

I purchased a short cutting of this plant from a vendor for $1.50 when I lived in Florida. I kept it outside except for winter when I brought it into the house. The plant didn't grow for about a year and I was going to throw it away when I noticed that it was starting to grow. It grew and grew. When it was about six feet long, it got two flowers that were absolutely beautiful. When I moved to Montana, I took the plant with me. I kept the plant in the house in a bright window but it died despite everything I tried to keep it alive. I was heartbroken. I have moved to North Carolina and hope to obtain another plant. I will baby that one so that I have it for years to come.

Positive weeding On Sep 26, 2003, weeding from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Hoyas are great plants to collect. The blooms sizes and colors are vast. Above says propagation by leaf cuttings. Leaf cuttings will root, but will not grow any larger. You must have some stem attached to the leaf cuttings to get a growing plant.

Anniston, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Brea, California
Carlsbad, California
Indialantic, Florida
Miami, Florida (2 reports)
Palm Bay, Florida