Wax Hearts, Sweetheart Hoya, Valentine Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower
Hoya kerrii

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: kerrii (KER-ee-eye) (Info)

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Succulent

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Anniston, Alabama

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Brea, California

Carlsbad, California

Indialantic, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

Palm Bay, Florida

Chehalis, Washington

Cabin Creek, West Virginia

negative

On Feb 10, 2015, rldenni001 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

This is a great plant, and grows like all of the other hoyas that I have. I bought it as a leaf and after a LOOOOOOONG time (probably a year), it finally started to grow new shoots from the base. For those that say the plants won't grow from leaf cuttings, it simply is not true. The leaf itself will not grow, however new shoots will come from the base of the plant. My advice is do not re-pot until you see new growth, and even then, make sure that it is in fact time to re-pot. My general rule of thumb is when you start to see more roots than soil. Don't go up into a huge pot right away, you should only pot up an inch or so at a time. For instance, if the pot is a 4 inch, the next pot should be no larger than a 6". It will likely take a couple of years before it needs to be repotted a... read more

On Aug 18, 2013, cdonnell from Santa Clara, CA wrote:

I bought what must be a leaf. It has a "living message' carved on it. I have had it for several months and it hasn't done anything. I was led to think it would grow but from what I see here, it isn't going to. Right? The leaf is flat too, not puffed out in any way, but not shriveled and dead or anything. Do I have a "mummy" leaf or something?
Any ideas?

On Sep 8, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this hoya, never seen a heart leaf one before. I got a cutting of this in December, and 6 months later got a new shoot on it, 2 feet long, and buds as well. I sure hope it grows more.

On a second note, this hoya is often sold with a single leaf in a pot. Those will never produce a plant because its just a leaf, and not a rooted stem with a axis bud.

On Jan 18, 2010, biskutmkr1947 from Hubert, NC wrote:

I purchased a short cutting of this plant from a vendor for $1.50 when I lived in Florida. I kept it outside except for winter when I brought it into the house. The plant didn't grow for about a year and I was going to throw it away when I noticed that it was starting to grow. It grew and grew. When it was about six feet long, it got two flowers that were absolutely beautiful. When I moved to Montana, I took the plant with me. I kept the plant in the house in a bright window but it died despite everything I tried to keep it alive. I was heartbroken. I have moved to North Carolina and hope to obtain another plant. I will baby that one so that I have it for years to come.

On Sep 26, 2003, weeding from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Hoyas are great plants to collect. The blooms sizes and colors are vast. Above says propagation by leaf cuttings. Leaf cuttings will root, but will not grow any larger. You must have some stem attached to the leaf cuttings to get a growing plant.