PlantFiles: Hoya, Wax Plant, Hindu Rope, Indian Rope, Angel Rope, Porcelain Flower
Hoya compacta 'Krinkle Kurl'

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: compacta (kom-PAK-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Krinkle Kurl
Additional cultivar information: (aka Crispa)

Synonym:Hoya carnosa f. compacta

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Succulent

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Hoya compacta by PanamonCreel

By Dianne492
Thumbnail #6 of Hoya compacta by Dianne492

Thumbnail #7 of Hoya compacta by PanamonCreel

Positive Vestia On Mar 4, 2012, Vestia from San Francisco, CA wrote:

This should properly be referred to as Hoya carnosa 'Hummel's Compacta' as Ed Hummel produced it; later Cobia renamed and trademarked it with 'Krinkle Kurl'. Even though there is a publication of this cultivar as the species H. compacta, it is not a natural species and has never been found in a wild habitat. Whatever you call it, it's a contorted carnosa. Easy to please, but slow to flower, it is a plant every Hoya enthusiast should find a spot for in their collection.

Neutral Ennewaite On Jun 18, 2011, Ennewaite from Cushing, WI wrote:

I just received one of these plants after my aunt died. On the description card it reads my Grandmothers name and the day that she started it from seed. 1896!!!! I know nothing of this plant and to me it looks sickly. Very white and droopy! Any thoughts on how to bring it back and suggestions for keeping it strong? I live in NorthWestern Wisconsin!
Thanks.

Positive kiwhitneysd On Aug 8, 2010, kiwhitneysd from San Diego, CA wrote:

My original plant came from my great grandma about 1913 in upstate New York. There are 54 known cuttings of this plant in my family all over the states. One here in San Diego is on a trussell and covers about 6ft in height by 8ft wide. It flowers all the time. If you move the plant it will stop growing for up to 3 or 4 months. We keep ours outdoors year round. Keep it moist and give it alittle plant food twice a year. Ive never planted one in the ground, always in a pot. I love mine, its become a family hair loom.

Positive szamora On Jun 19, 2009, szamora from Douglas, WY wrote:

My mom gave me a started off of this plant. It was my great grandmas. I have it in my windowsill in my kitchen. It's doing good, but I think it need a little more sunlight. I have it in a small pot and it likes to be root bound. I can't wait to see it grow and hopefully produce flowers.

Negative ronster1266 On Dec 15, 2008, ronster1266 from Montrose, MI wrote:

my plant has been in my family foe about 40 years it is my grandmothers and the past few years it has been slowly dieing off. the leaves turn yellow then the stem shrivels up and dies what am i dooing wrong, can anyone help me save my plant.

Positive DahlHouse On Oct 21, 2008, DahlHouse from Colcord, OK wrote:

Just purchased this plant at a home improvement store in Tulsa last week. I've had this plant before, many years ago, when some nice lady gave me a few cuttings of it. The plant I just bought has 12 individual plants; about 7 of them are probably a foot long and the rest are shorter. One of them has solid white leaves on the growing half (hanging end) of one plant. There was also a single solid yellow curled leaf that I am trying to "save" and hopefully get to root. This plant has some variegated areas too, although most are solid. I am absolutely THRILLED to learn that it may even produce some orchid-like flowers and actually have a fragrance! What kind of fragrance might that be? Unfortunately, I just repotted it, so I will either have to reconsider that effort or just bide my time, in order to let it get root-bound and encourage blooming. I've been afraid to cut some of the foot-long pieces and "stick" them, because I wonder if the cut ends will take a long time to start growing. Will they split into two? or just continue growing out? I'll try to get a photo of the solid white area and post it soon. BTW, I'm in Oklahoma, and did not see this plant listed as growing there. I have a small designated inside area of the house that is currently a temporary greenhouse situation and have moved all my hanging plants, ivy, ferns, and this new plant to the brightest location. I also have water plants inside.

Positive GABC On Aug 24, 2008, GABC from Fairport, NY wrote:

I've had this plant for 25 years, it bloomed only once. I started it from one leaf! What do I feed it, should I transplant? It's 5 feet lond and quite full.
Living in N.Y. State, I keep the plant inside all winter and put out in the spring.
Thanks for some advise!

Positive luvlucy21 On Jun 28, 2008, luvlucy21 from Oak Forest, IL wrote:

We were given this plant about 6 years ago by my husbands grandmother. She had it for about 20-30 yrs. It's foliage was very nice, so we took it in as a houseplant only. It has been in my garden window for about a year. Never in all the years with granny or ourselves, until now, has it done anything so wonderful! I quickly started researching to find out just what this plant was, since granny only called it by elephant ear. We knew this was not true since we grow elephant ears in the summer in our garden. I called on a person of vast plant knowledge, my step dad Frankie Soukal. He's been in the biz forever. I described it over the phone and he said "Hoya". I jumped on the web and he was right. WE DO NOTHING to this plant. I recently gave it a good soak and a leaf bath in the sink, but that's it. All of a sudden it looked as though it were going to drop some seeds, so I put a bowl under it to catch them. OOPS they were flowers, but I guess they'll turn to seed pods. Granny used a little garden soil( Illinois clay) to pot this one. What should I use to sow these seeds? We would luv the input!

Positive seckner On Oct 25, 2005, seckner from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

i love my rope plant i've had it for four year's it was in a 6inch hanging basket when i bought it .i put it in a window box on a inside window ledge and away it went , i know they like to be root bound ,but it was like it enjoyed airing it's toe's in the window box it didn't take it long at all for it to start growing all over the place .
the last time my husband and mesured the longest arm on it ,it was 12feet long that's been 6month's ago and its grown from the top of the 4 four tower it's on down and up agian. it's nevr bloomed .is because i don't keep it out side.

Positive rckinrob On Jul 12, 2005, rckinrob from El Paso, TX wrote:

I am not much of a gardener, and don't know much about many plants other than Hoyas and Philodendrons. The latter loves to live in my bathroom because it is humid and I am forced to water it at least once a week during deep cleaning of the bathroom. But the Hoya...this is my favorite. I have two varieties now, a rope hoya and the other I have not figured out the proper name, but it's the common hoya that my mother grew when I was a child (which she still has by the way...it was passed on to her from her grandmother). Only this one has varigated leaves so I am anxious to see the bloom color! I have found (because mother always told me and mother never lies!) that Hoyas love to be compact in their surroundings (root bound), like to be a little neglected between waterings, love the early morning to midday sun (moderate shade), and DESPISE being moved about. My mother will break her Hoyas in half when they have outgrown the pot and just repot them into the same size pot. She has had the same plant since I can remember (I'm 35) and it was her grandmothers before that. Her plant(s) still blooms and my sister has her portion of great-grandmas plant spanned across her cupboards over her sink. (I was forbidden from moving mine from WI to TX so it was temporarily adopted by my sister). I have the best luck finding them at Lowes. I have found both of mine there.

Positive judwor On Aug 25, 2004, judwor from Oak Creek, WI wrote:

Since I live in a cold climate(Wisconsin) I have my rope plant indoors. It is at least 15 years old and grew very little in a hanging basket in my kitchen. When we moved into different home 6 years ago I repotted and placed on window ledge with southern exposure. Now it is thriving and for the first time it has flowered!

Positive Jamespayne On Jul 22, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

In June, 2004, I received 3 Hoya plants, and instructions to plant them in a soil medium of half potting soil and half Perlite. The plants are small, and I placed all of them in a medium sized hanging pot. Since I live in central Florida, and they like heat and humidity, I hung my plants in my open carport. I was told to water when the soil was dry half way to the bottom of the pot. The plants get the first two hours of sunlight and are doing great! I have a "sun room" I will place them in when the season turns cooler. I can not wait to see them bloom. From pictures I have seen, the blooms are very unusual, looking like a honeycomb from a bees hive.

Positive garlicmaven On May 30, 2004, garlicmaven from Bailey, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

Found this in a forgotten corner of my favorite nursery. The proprietor was shocked to see how much it had grown and that it was blooming! He hadn't even priced it yet so he just gave it me!

I'm debating on whether or not to put it outside. It's tropical here in MS but I'm worried that I will have a pest problem due to the nectar. Right now it's in a tiered hanging basket in my kitchen window and seems happy!

Neutral cabflowers On May 6, 2004, cabflowers wrote:

I purchased this Hoya Compacta about 5 years ago and have never been able to get it to bloom for me. It was a very small plant when I purchased it. I just recently repotted the plant, taking it out of it's original pot and replaced with fresh soil.

Positive PanamonCreel On Apr 21, 2003, PanamonCreel from Celaya
Mexico (Zone 10a) wrote:

Easy to care for hanging basket plant with curly leaves that give it a distinctive look. Flowers, like on most Hoyas, are absolutely beautiful, fragrant and rich in nectar. Nectar sometimes is dripping from flowers and can create a bit of a mess below. Location for plant should be bright and a little direct sunlight will not hurt. Slower growing then the “normal” and variegated Carnosa form.
Mealy bugs may attack the plant and are difficult to spot since they like to lodge near the base of the leaf, which may be covered from direct view. Direct application of rubbing alcohol with a cotton swap for light infestations or spray with water, soap and rubbing alcohol mix for heavier infestations usually do the trick on those pesky critters.
Soil should never be allowed to completely dry out especially during summer month and flowering compacta should be watered very often.

Ranburne, Alabama
Vincent, Alabama
Blackhawk-camino Tassajara, California
Carlsbad, California
Mission Viejo, California
Brooksville, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lake Worth, Florida