PlantFiles: Miniature Wax Plant, Beautiful Hoya, Porcelain Flower
Hoya bella

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: bella (BEL-luh) (Info)

Synonym:Hoya lanceolata
Synonym:Hoya lanceolata subsp. bella

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Blue-Green
Veined

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By UlfEliasson

Thumbnail #6 of Hoya bella by PanamonCreel

By sandy130
Thumbnail #7 of Hoya bella by sandy130

Positive chaos000 On Jun 28, 2013, chaos000 from Vernon Valley, NJ wrote:

I have two Hoya Bellas,(and now a Hoya Lacunosa, it's still very young) and they have at least a dozen blooms constantly, and both the flowers and plants are huge! It's a very hardy plant and I would recommend it for literally anyone. Has to be my favorite kind of plant!

Positive hidesrtorchid On Jun 5, 2012, hidesrtorchid from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I live in New Mexico and purchased this plant years ago to help screen my orchids from direct sun at sunset and have enjoyed it. When purchased I didn't know what it was, nor did I know it bloomed. Mine always looks a little sun burned and sad due to it getting southern and western sun everyday but blooms every May for the last 3 years. It lives with succulents and cacti in my south/west window and is among my favorites outside of my orchids.

Positive LadyAshleyR On Jan 23, 2011, LadyAshleyR from Oakland, MD wrote:

This is seriously the easiest plant I have every rooted.
We plucked a few cuttings off of an adult plant, and left them in a dish of water over night.
The next morning when I got up, and gathered my rooting materials, I realized one had already grown an inch long root over night!!!
I was totally floored!

Positive Hoppingcrow On May 26, 2007, Hoppingcrow from Mt. Rainier, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have never owned such a satisfactory houseplant! It blooms profusely and frequently, requires little maintenance. Mine was started from a slip obtained from a friend and has given me much pleasure over the years.

Positive CaptMicha On Mar 4, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very rewarding house/tropical plant.

It'll do fine with light from a nearby window and prefers moist soil. I fertilize about once every two weeks with 18-18-18.

I found that plants do best when exposed to high degrees of humidity and warmth.

Flowers are long lasting, beautiful little star shaped numbers with a sweet smell, during the day and night.

Positive Pameladragon On Jul 21, 2004, Pameladragon from Appomattox, VA wrote:

I have grown this particular Hoya for many years, always in a south-eastern window. Because its pot sits high above a window, sometimes it dries out but a good soaking brings it right back to health.

The plant is now a good 48" long and very full. It has a major bloom period in the early spring, when the plant is covered with fragrant pendant umbels, then blooms sporadically the rest of the year.

I fertilize it when I am doing the orchids and use whatever I use on them. The plant is not fussy but does respond to attention.

There are many other species in the Hoya genus, some quite large, with different leaves and flowers. A really nice houseplant in northern areas and can grow outside in zone 10.

Positive mizzourah On Nov 11, 2003, mizzourah wrote:

I've had my plant for at least 12 years. Now that I know NOT to pinch it back (which I was doing on a regular basis thinking it would make it grow better), it blooms on a regular basis with absolutely no special care. I don't even fertilize it on a regular basis. My husband built a copper trellis for it to climb (our windows are floor to ceiling) and it's practically covered the trellis after 4 years. Exposure is in a southwest window. I also have a "baby" that consistently blooms and it gets indirect SW light. Needs repotting every few years.

Positive mumita On Nov 10, 2003, mumita wrote:

my mother has this plant in her kitchen and had no idea what it was for the longest time. the flowers are petite and sweet smelling. We have it sitting in a North facing window.

Neutral l8blmr On Oct 20, 2003, l8blmr from Owasso, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

My mother received this plant 20 or so years ago. She loves the plant - it's the only one she has been able to keep alive for any length of time! It has bloomed only 3 or 4 times since she's had it, so I would love to know what it takes to get it to bloom. It has always been a houseplant. I never thought to try propagating it.

Positive mep On Nov 23, 2002, mep wrote:

I've had one for only about 5 months but it's growing and flowering (this is November) nicely with no special treatment. It's in a hanging basket and the flowers are most visable from below.

Sebring, Florida