Taro
Alocasia reginula 'Black Velvet'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alocasia (a-loh-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: reginula (ree-JIN-uh-la) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Velvet

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

Blooms all year

Dark/Black

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Veined

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Bradley, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Fountain, Florida

Homestead, Florida

Seminole, Florida

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Red Oak, Texas

On Jun 6, 2010, MNPlantlover from Cottage Grove, MN wrote:

I bought this plant in March and brought it home to Minnesota with me. I keep it by the patio door and have had several new leaves. I now have 13 leaves on it. It is now in the process of blooming in two places. I have not repotted it or fertilized it. It is in about a 6 inch plastic pot with drainage, but really thriving. What future care should I give it and what do I do after it blooms? Remove them?????
I know nothing about this plant except that I love it! I will post pics of the blooms, right now they look like white sticks poping out of a large blub at the end of the stem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much for any response!!!

On Aug 28, 2009, jaslacovis from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I got mine from blackjungle.com about a year ago. I've had it in my office cubicle. It seems to be doing ok, it even started to flower. The leaves have stayed quite small though. It in a clay pot and I water 2x a week from the bottom. I think it would do better in a window though. I have the feeling it's too leggy.

On Jan 12, 2009, birdman1 from Spring, TX wrote:

I grow this plant indoors under a bright fluorescent light which it clearly loves as it grows toward that light. It certainly wants to be moist, but does need to drain well. I often mist it as well. I love it.

On Aug 8, 2005, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Beautiful velvety leaves. Mine is growing in a shady spot with some ferns, it doesn't like to be too wet. I have it planted slightly elevated so it doesn't sit on standing water.

On May 29, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

I love the beautiful texture of this plant. However, my experience with it seems to be different. I have had several of them and they seem to like to grow somewhat on the dry side. I lost my plants in the wet hurricane season last year. I have more and noticed this week that those under daily irrigation are rotting while those barely in reach of irrigation, so not getting much, are thriving.

On May 28, 2005, zairegar from Medan