PlantFiles: Creeping Snapdragon, Twining Snapdragon, Trailing Snapdragon, Chickabiddy
Asarina procumbens

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Asarina (ass-ar-ee-na) (Info)
Species: procumbens (pro-KUM-benz) (Info)

Synonym:Antirrhinum asarina

By saya
Thumbnail #5 of Asarina procumbens by saya

By poisondartfrog
Thumbnail #6 of Asarina procumbens by poisondartfrog

Neutral sladeofsky On May 10, 2013, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am giving this plant a neutral only because I managed to kill it. It is lovely but more of a foliage plant with bonus flowers in my view. Mine flourished for a few years then died quickly in intense heat and drought. Although it is most often listed as a sun through part sun plant, growers in the South and low desert should probably opt for bright shade. The leaves remind me of what Creeping Charlie might look like if it weren't such a nasty thug. Unlike its common cousins, it's blooms are bourn along the growing stem rather than tufts or spikes. It is less flashy but more elegant, I think. I hope that some talented horticulturists will soon hybridize it to develop a wider range of colors or to perhaps lend its hardiness and trailing habit to other flower types. I intend to try it again soon either in a woodland shade garden or near a door to the house where heat/drought stress would be more quickly noticed. Also, I think this plant is more cold hardy than listed by a zone or two.

Positive annieaday On Oct 4, 2012, annieaday from Rockport, MA wrote:

Hi, I've finally succeeded in getting 3 pots of asarina procumbens to germinate and grow to a healthy size, quite by accident. It is possible the local variation has undergone speciation, ( developed in a way most suited to our locality. )
All I know is I had come to consider this a NOT FOR ME plant. I had a series of failures... I had even bought a hot pad for rooting cuttings. It turns out they like cool Fall weather. Now I have sprouted seeds and rooted tip cuttings in our NE Oct. Autumn. (The pots I had abandoned in disgust).

Thanks fot the nice notes I have recieved! Annie

Positive flagmil On May 22, 2012, flagmil from Kachina Village, AZ wrote:

Thanks so much for the identification! I started these from seed last year. They didn't bloom the first year, but they overwintered here in Flagstaff, AZ (7,000', zone 5) & started blooming in May. A charming plant!

Positive saya On Mar 22, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

It is growing in my garden for several years now and I 'm still happy with it. It grows at the foot of my hedge, a rather sheltered and dry spot. It trails along and even climbs into my hedge, the tendrils can get about 100 cm. Unfortunately for it I have to clip the hedge regular..The cultivar I have is called 'Sierra Nevada' according the seed package. The info on the package says it is a tender perennial...but it has survived already many winters with temps down to -18 C.
It stays wintergreen and starts to bloom in spring until frosts come. The flowers are soft yellow and delicate scented.
A handsome trailing little plant that never gets weedy. This plant is probably also suitable to grow in hanging baskets

Positive philomel On Oct 17, 2002, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a short lived perennial, borderline hardy gem.
It needs a warm position with good drainage, somewhere it can scramble and sprawl to its heart's content.
It can creep quite long distances, but is never in danger of taking over (in the UK at least, I have no experience of it elsewhere)
The leaves are soft, furry and somewhat sticky, with a beauty of their own. The flowers are produced all summer long and well into the autumn until the frosts come.

Flagstaff, Arizona