PlantFiles: Elephant Ear, Taro
Alocasia cuprea

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alocasia (a-loh-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: cuprea (KUP-ray-uh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Thumbnail #5 of Alocasia cuprea by giancarlo

Thumbnail #6 of Alocasia cuprea by giancarlo

Thumbnail #7 of Alocasia cuprea by giancarlo

Positive evr On Sep 11, 2008, evr from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I was fortunate enough to find this plant at a reasonable price. I didn't like alocasias as much until one DG member introduced me to them; he was looking for them and I bought it for me to trade with him. They don't like full shade, but dappled lights, very hardy in my opinion.

This horticulturalist at the nursery told me to let dry between watering, but this did not work for me (I think he was just trying to sound smart - he called this plant African mask, which isn't called that as I later found out). I keep the soil moist but not soggy. Perfect for containers

Neutral BayAreaTropics On Sep 28, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

As a house plant--way down the list. As a greenhouse plant ,right near the top. Really needs warmth and humidity. Slow growing for a Alocasia. Delicate.

Positive emilyrasmus On Sep 28, 2005, emilyrasmus from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This beautiful Alocasia needs indirect bright light and likes its soil to be kept on the dry side. I only water when the soil has completely dried out for at least a week and then I water very throughly. I use a well-draining potting soil mixture and add perlite and pumice to further aerate the soil.

Big Pine Key, Florida