PlantFiles: Dwarf African Mask,Dwarf Amazon Elephant's Ear
Alocasia 'Poly'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alocasia (a-loh-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Poly

Thumbnail #6 of Alocasia  by locstress

By mystic
Thumbnail #7 of Alocasia  by mystic

Neutral smurfyplants On Jun 30, 2011, smurfyplants from Lancaster, PA wrote:

I've tried this plant twice now, each time the plants were purchased they seemed to do fine for a few weeks but then the leaves turned yellow and brown and mushy. The second time I was left with the 2 round bulbs and instead of tossing the whole thing I repotted the bare, rootless yet firm bulbs in new soil and put them on my patio. 6 months later and my bulbs are now sending out new leaves :) Glad I took the chance on them and suggest that others that have the same issues do the same if the bulbs are firm. I think these plants hae more issue with cool drafts and overwatering than anything else. Let the bulbs rest dry.

Positive ewardy On May 21, 2011, ewardy from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

I am in Brisbane Australia, we have a large Poinsiana tree that covers most of our backyard, putting all of the planting area into shade. I have been building up the fenceline with rainforest type plants, and bought two of these gorgeous plants yesterday. They provide such a striking presence, and I have been sitting with my coffee just looking at them, happy with the placing. One of them was a bit dried out when I took it out of its pot, but this morning its already looking healthier and happier after a good soaking with the hose yesterday, and then some rain over night. Its heading into Winter here, and our wet season has lasted all year so far, with more rain predicted. Although we live on a slope, I'm hoping its not too damp for them.

Neutral hottropics On Sep 10, 2010, hottropics from Bokeelia, FL wrote:

I've had "polly" for years, its a great plant to own. I haven't had much luck with growing her inside. I like to make mixed containers full of low light plants and I no longer use this in the mix because they really prefer being outside. Since transferring them to my northern shady bed on the backside of our house they have been spreading like crazy. I find new babies 5' to 10' away from the parent. I also have them planted with macho ferns under my 80 yr. old mango and find them popping up elsewhere.

Positive meboss On Jan 19, 2010, meboss from Fullerton, CA wrote:

Got the plant at a swap meet in San Diego, Ca. 24" high and VERY healthy. Transplanted from a 4" pot to a 10" pot using Cactus mix. I left the 4 holes in the bottom open. Container is sitting in a plant tray inside the house facing south. The south side of the house is a coverd patio. The plant is doing very well so far. No leaf droop or drop. I only water when top 2" is dry.

Positive mswestover On Oct 23, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Like others, bought the plant at Lowe's. Transferred to a bigger pot and now she is getting babies in the pot. I stick my finger down the side of the pot about two inches, if it is dry, it gets watered. Under the shade of a Live Oak tree. I used the Jungle Growth soil.

Positive chris904 On Mar 30, 2006, chris904 from Chapel Hill, NC wrote:

I fell in love with this plant and would love to fill my yard with it. I'm in zone 7 and am wondering if I could treat it like a dahlia since it has a dormant season. Has anyone tried it? I'll let you know if it works.

Positive kniphofia On Dec 19, 2005, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

These plants do have a dormancy period, so if your plant seems to be failing no matter what you do, don't panic! Let it rest and it will come back.

Having said that, mine has not entered dormancy since I bought it two years ago. Since I took it to work its thriving in the bright light of the office and has produced loads of new leaves and shoots. A wonderful plant!

Neutral liberame On Nov 1, 2004, liberame from Portland, ME wrote:

bought one at home depot one month ago and transplanted it to a larger pot. Have lost 2 leaves and see some leaf spot. Am using pebble tray and humidifier. See no new leaves coming yet. Any information about keeping this beautiful plant happy?

Positive tpoe On Oct 9, 2004, tpoe from Flint, TX wrote:

I've got several Amazonicas around the house in East Texas. I've had the 1st since 1990, from Arkansas. They have bloomed several times, usually after a long period of growth and warm season. Most are in pots, but this year I am growing two in the ground. The one in partial shade does best, under a large Privett. The cannot stand direct sun for long. They like rich, well-drained soil and mine like to be slightly moist, not too wet.

Positive violabird On Sep 23, 2004, violabird from Barnesville, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'm very happy with Polly, especially now that she's bloomed, hope others will tell of their bloom experiences.

Unlike the others, I don't keep her constantly moist, I do let her dry out, apparently it thrives on neglect, going for a week with no water, but bouncing right back. She currently resides on the porch with no direct sunlight.

Neutral danyell906 On Aug 25, 2004, danyell906 from Bronx, NY wrote:

I have had a couple of these very interesting plants. But i always had a hard time keeping them alive. They alway come in small pots so i transplant them into bigger ones, but i find that shortly after the leaves start to hang and they turn yellow and brown. Maybe i'm using the wrong soil. Should they be in only Moss? If anyone knows can they let me know. I would really like to enjoy this interesting looking plant for just more then a couple of weeks! Thanks alot.

Positive plwiseman On Aug 16, 2004, plwiseman from Midway, TX wrote:

I live in East Texas, and I found this beautiful plant that I have never seen before and I just had to have it! I keep it indoors in a big pot and it has done wonderful. I could be wrong but I do not think it would survive the Tx heat outside. Inside it has not lost one leaf and I have had it for 2 months. Its beautiful. I keep the soil moist at all times and of course its cool in the house.
*************************************************************

Ok folks its been a year since the above post and my"polly" seemed to die just before spring last year. No matter what I did, it just faded. I set the pot with the dead plant outside hoping that the warm season would maybe help it. It didnt. The whole summer went by and I left it sitting there. I had given up on it being dead. Then about 2 wks ago, now that its fall time of the year, life came back into it. I think it was just lying dormat. But now its back and beautiful again after so many months. So dont give up on your plant, even if it appears to die!

Neutral tonyinDel On Aug 8, 2004, tonyinDel from Seaford, DE wrote:

I have little experience with this plant. Does anyone know if it can be dug up and over wintered like other elephant ear plants?

Neutral KDePetrillo On Jul 13, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have 3 of these plants, one bought from a local supermarket and two (at different times) from the local Home Depot. I bought all of them in the early to late Fall, and by the middle of November all 3 plants were looking pretty sad. I kept them in a fairly warm room and misted them constantly, but the leaves developed soft, rounded spots and the leaves died shortly thereafter. In the middle of the Spring, when I finally had some room, I transferred them all to the greenhouse, where they're picking up a little. Since they've been in the greenhouse, I haven't had any of the soft round spots on the leaves. The leaves now appear healthy and I'm getting new little leaves to replace the ones lost. I am beginning to suspect that plants were getting too much light in the house . . . does anyone have any ideas about this leaf-spot/demise problems?

Positive foodiesleuth On Jul 12, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We have had a few plants for several years and were thrilled recently to find several 'keikis' (babies) shooting up even in a couple of places, not even close to the original plants......no idea of how they got started where they are!

We have several alocasia in our yard....regular taro, black taro, pocket taro, amazonica and two more we have not been able to identify.

Fullerton, California