Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Jaune Flammee'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Jaune Flammee
Additional cultivar information:(aka Jaune Flammé)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Knoxville, Tennessee

Dripping Springs, Texas

Elgin, Texas

Joshua, Texas

Herndon, Virginia (2 reports)

Richland, Washington

Mequon, Wisconsin

On Dec 8, 2012, mommiest from Herndon, VA wrote:

Gorgeous little (2-inch) tomatoes, our Jaune Flammées were deep orange with a deep pink blush in the center; I made a point of slicing them to show off the color. These are very juicy. As for flavor, the first (earliest ripening) fruit was so bland I almost didn't pick any more, but that was misleading. Once this vine got started, the flavor was intense and fruity, exactly as I had been hoping for. It was very productive even though I planted it in one of the less desirable sections of my garden. It also showed some disease resistance. This one's worth repeating.

On Nov 12, 2011, tanglethornfarm from Lloyd, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Plant did well even when other tomato plants didn't. Very productive. Fruit are quite lovely; no sign of cracking, blossom-end rot, or other blemishing. Very tasty, too. Will plant this regularly.

On Jun 2, 2009, Katlian from Carson City, NV (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is our favorite tomato to grow because it bears a large number of small to medium fruits and is usually the first to bear each year. It does not seem to set fruit well in very hot temperatures so there is an early crop and a late crop (on the same plants) in our climate. They are a bit watery for cooking but they are usually eaten long before I have a chance to cook them.

There is a small french bistro in our neighborhood and the owners love the Jaune Flammee tomatoes. They trade us dinners for tomatoes.

On Jan 13, 2008, alison_tx from Joshua, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of my top 5 favorite tomatoes to grow! This produced tomatoes from May to December for me. I started the seed in January and planted the first week of March in a 5 gallon bucket. They produced so well that I felt guilt for only giving them the 5 gallon bucket. This year I will plant a few and try a bigger container and in the ground. Seems to thrive on Texas weather abuse...

Fantastic flavor as well - most "yellow/orange" tomato skeptics will even agree that this is a keeper.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Also available from SSE.

On Jan 22, 2007, aries44 from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

One of my most favorite tasting small cherry-types. Very nice clusters of bright orange fruit. It's been in the garden since I first tried.

On Nov 18, 2006, carduus from Cuyahoga Falls, OH wrote:

While this plant does grow quickly and prolificly and is fairly healthy overall, the taste really leaves something to be desired. It is somewhere between a large cherry and a very small sandwich tomato in size, and really doesn't have the sweetness and freshness you expect from a cherry or the meatiness and depth of flavor you expect from a sandwich tomato. It seems like there should be a good use for its mild flavor and kind of liquidy texture, but I as of yet haven't been able to find one.

On Sep 7, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Vigorous plant which set tomatoes for us even in the heat of summer. Fruit seems to get sweeter when left longer on the vine. Everyone who tried them was impressed.

On Aug 8, 2006, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I put my seedling of this out around May 20th, and just harvested the first ripe tomatoes today. They're beautiful deep orange fruits, nice and vivid in the mouth, too.

On Jan 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of my favorite tomatoes. Like a 'sweet tart' as far as tomatoes go. Nice appearance and minimal cracking problems for me. Produces well in the heat.

On Sep 5, 2004, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

A nice little tomato - averages about an ounce and a half. Delightful to cut into as it's a neon orange outside, but has a lovely red interior. Very prolific - rich and tangy flavor.

On Aug 19, 2004, elsie from Lafayette, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my first year growing Jaune Flamme. Lots of small tomatoes which have a surprisingly nice flavor. This was the first tomato to ripen this year. I will certainly grow again.

On Aug 14, 2004, gardenpaws_VA from Herndon, VA wrote:

Growing Jaune Flammee for the first time this year, and it's a really nice rich flavor. I've seen some splitting, but it seems to hold well on the vine despite that, and gets its best flavor when it is a deep orange on the skin (almost pumpkin color). New growers watch out - this is up there with Juliet and Sungold for outgrowing its cage or stake. Expect plants to reach 5-6 feet, possibly more (I don't feed mine heavily, so they may not be as large as some.)

On Aug 13, 2004, Heather1 from Atherton, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the first year we have grown this tomato--it has intense tomato flavor and it is beautiful too.

On Aug 16, 2002, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is my first year growing this tomato and we like it so well that it will now be one we grow every year from now on. It has a great tomato taste.

On May 2, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Absolutely a great little tomato! It's about the size of a jumbo egg with a red interior.It ripens early and produces throughout the summer.They hang in clusters of about 6 to 8 and have a great 'tomatoey' taste.Not too sweet..not too tart.

It is Regular Leafed and seems well suited to many growing conditions.It will split if too much rain falls,but what tomato won't?

I have dried tons of these and they are among my favorites for using in homemade breads.