Dymondia, Silver Carpet
Dymondia margaretae

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dymondia (dy-MON-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: margaretae (mar-GAR-et-tay) (Info)

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Silver/Gray

This plant is resistant to deer

Berkeley, California

Carlsbad, California

Cupertino, California

Dana Point, California

Encinitas, California

Fremont, California

Huntington Beach, California

Indio, California

Long Beach, California (2 reports)

Pittsburg, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Sherman Oaks, California

Stockton, California

Vista, California

North Port, Florida

On Feb 26, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I first saw this plant in the LA County Arboretum in 2013 and bought a flat of it in a nearby CA nursery. Half of the flat went to a friend in Ajo, AZ and none of that survived. The other half went into my garden in Phoenix and it survived only in one location, where it has now formed a lovely spreading clump about 2 feet in diameter. The surviving clump gets more water than the other locations -- about every other day, but shallowly to support nearby annuals. It is on a south facing slope and gets almost full sun in winter and partial in summer. Frosts down to 26F have not seemed to affect it. It has bloomed each year, but sparingly.

On Aug 13, 2014, mwnelson3 from Dana Point, CA wrote:

I have noted this plant growing in Laguna Beach in a space approximately 8'X15' with a few stepping stones, and it seems too be doing well with the exception of a few plants adjacent an area which is irrigated regularily.

I have just plugged an area at my home in Dana Point which is approx. 6'X20' and have spaced the plugs 12" apart. I feel I'll have to reduce the spacing to 6" due to the probable infiltration of weeds. I am keeping the soil moist to hopefully speed up the spread of the plant. I love the looks of the plant as a groundcover and hope it takes hold. It is not a "cheap" ground cover running from $17.50 for an incomplete flat to $25.00 ea. for two complete flats. (And these 3 were the only ones I could find in the area.)

On Mar 9, 2013, michelekrein from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I think there are two species being sold in the Southern California area. I see a smaller leafed variety and I think I have variety that grows in larger clumps and is not as delicate looking. Any thoughts anyone?