Sea Buckthorn, Sea Berry, Seaberry
Hippophae rhamnoides

Family: Elaeagnaceae
Genus: Hippophae (hip-POH-fay) (Info)
Species: rhamnoides (ram-NOY-deez) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Ponds and Aquatics

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Sheridan, Montana

Troutdale, Oregon

Colville, Washington

On Sep 1, 2014, FoxgreenFarm from Limerick, ME wrote:

I have been growing seaberries or Hippophae rhamoides for about 4 years now. Most of my plants I grew from seed and they have been much more sturdy than a few I purchased as rooted cutttings. The downside is that I won't know if I have male or females until they blossom or produce fruit. I'm not that worried since I have over 500 of them in a field and I should get a nice distribution of the sexes. Now I am harvesting some leaves to use as tea and that is working out very well. I even add some dried leaf powder to smoothies. The leaves are full of good stuff too. Google Seaberry / Seabucthorn and you will find my blog which chronicles a lot about my experiment. Some nice recipes can be found there too. Just google seaberry recipes and you will find the blog. I am looking forward ... read more

On Mar 21, 2012, DMersh from Perth
United Kingdom (Zone 7b) wrote:

I saw some large clumps of this at Samphire Hoe, Dover. It formed quite compact and extremely spiny specimens to about 6ft high but clumping much wider.

On Dec 17, 2007, rosmarinus from Sterling, AK wrote:

One picks the fruit carefully. The berries are very sour when eaten alone but into the blender with water and some sugar make a wonderfully refreshing drink.
They seem to be very winter hardy in South Central Alaska even after the winter of 2006-7 which gave us very cold temperatures without a snow cover and lots of things didn't overwinter. Whether they are moose-proof is unknown as they are behind an eight-foot fence.

On Jun 28, 2007, amandaemily from Gulf Coast
United States (Zone 9a) wrote:

Seaberry's suckering can be a problem if you are not careful and attentive.

I have some growing in my yard that I have to dig out the suckers every spring, otherwise it will take over my garden and choke out other plantings.

On May 9, 2004, dezotell from Anza, CA wrote:

One of the most valuable shrubs for the human condition and envirnment. All you ever want to know is on the internet. USDA has ignored sea buckthorn. Harvesting is labor intensive. Is a must for Russian gardeners. High in vitemins and heath nutrients for the long winters. China makes 200 product from sea buckthorn. Species from a few inches to 70 feet. Very attractive shrub. Needs male and female for berries. Very easy to propagate. Seeds, cuttings, roots, suckers. Suckers densly, extensively. Great for wind and soil erosion, Chinese claims up to 90% soil retension established growth. All parts usable. Medicine, nutrician, cosmetics, tea, ect. ect. ect. No known negetives.