Snake Plant, Yellow Chincherinchee, Sun Star

Ornithogalum dubium

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Ornithogalum (or-ni-THOG-al-um) (Info)
Species: dubium (DOO-bee-um) (Info)

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Flower Mound, Texas

Appomattox, Virginia

On Sep 22, 2015, contractorr from Flower Mound, TX wrote:

Every one should have this plant. I saw this plant in Albenia and Romania long time back. I was brough few seeds which I planted and started plants. It took long time to develope in to bulbs. They come in three to four colors. I love this plant.
By the way recently I found them at This is the first time I ordered them from them.

On Mar 23, 2013, gram_nan from Chattanooga, TN wrote:

I am hopeful, but after receiving this lovely plant with orange blossoms three days ago it's tallest blossom instead of standing stick straight is bent horizontal. It did not seem dry to touch, but has drunk a lot of water this a.m. I am hoping after repotting from its tiny pot it will recover. Wondering how large a pot to put it in? Also if the fluorescent light above it where it sits on my kitchen counter may be a problem. Because my windows have some tinting to keep some light out I chose to leave the light on because according to the tag info this plant needs bright indirect light in a sunny window.

On Jan 1, 2011, danielf7 from Tel Aviv
Israel wrote:

Hi, I bought some Ornithogalum Dubium (Sun Stars) in Israel which do not need to be placed in water. They have bloomed beautifully and will last 1 month I was told (it has been 10 days already). Does anyone know anything about this?

On Aug 11, 2010, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This species is an interesting additonal to a container garden - they will make 2 to 3 flushes of flower spikes but usually works best when their foliages are covered by low growing annuals. Wintering have failed indoor at room temperature as it only produce skinny leafs with no reblooming occuring.

On Apr 10, 2010, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

this plant actually came back here in zone 8 after a abnormally cold winter. it's against my south facing wall. miracles do happen!

On Sep 29, 2009, man1410 from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Flowers are extrememly showy and lasted forever last winter. Goes dormant in the summer, reappears in the winter. Excellent house plant.

On Jun 8, 2008, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Just bought this plant at a local Wal-Mart, where they had bazillions of them. Had never heard of it before. The blooms are progressing, but it's already showing signs of "scragliness" as one other member had posted. After it's done blooming I'm wondering if I should plant it outside or try to keep it in a pot.... It's nice and sunny and warm here, but I'm not sure if our summer rains will be too much for it.

On May 16, 2007, bethvg82 from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Beautiful bright orange blossoms. I planted on the north side of my house in the spring, and I water it once a week or less. The phoenix heat (and my neglect) have not killed it yet. Now that summer is here parts of the plant are starting to dry up and turn brown, but apparently this is normal for the plant and it will return next spring.

On May 6, 2006, lratt from Wheatland, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Just purchased it. It was labeled orange star. Awesome plant

On Jul 6, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is native to Africa. It will die down in the summer and reappear in late winter or early spring. Do not water it while it is dormant. Begin watering in late winter.

On Apr 13, 2005, jmorth from Divernon, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Good for forcing in a cool basement under fluorescents.

On Jul 4, 2004, Pameladragon from Appomattox, VA wrote:

I found this plant at our Kroger's supermarket sold as "Sun Stars" in a 4" pot.

It was fairly showey but soon began to shed its blooms and become shaggy looking. While very pretty in flower, it is one of those plants that is more attarctive in mass than in a pot. As a potted plant it soon becomes stragly and the foliage yellows but if planted in a flower bed with a groundcover to hide the foliage it might be very effective.