PlantFiles: Wild Cassia, Wild Senna
Senna hebecarpa

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senna (SEN-nuh) (Info)
Species: hebecarpa (hee-be-KAR-puh) (Info)

Synonym:Cassia hebecarpa

By EmmaGrace
Thumbnail #6 of Senna hebecarpa by EmmaGrace

By EmmaGrace
Thumbnail #7 of Senna hebecarpa by EmmaGrace

Neutral stonehill26 On Jul 7, 2014, stonehill26 from Glastonbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted Wild Senna 3 years ago in my garden. It grows to 5 feet he tall here in CT - My concern is that each year there are more and more seedlings that appear in the garden.. many of them so well rooted that they are difficult to weed out. The seedlings have also found their way throughout my 3/4 acre lot.
I pulled out the plants last fall and still have many seedlings creeping up! This is a very lovely plant but I believe it requires some caution!

Positive jegk On Oct 7, 2009, jegk from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I bought this plant from a local nursery and planted it on a retaining wall terrace where it gets full sun, which I assumed would be ideal since it is a prairie species. It is, but this summer I discovered a seedling that planted itself in a shady location where I had placed some of the abundant seed capsules last fall when I cut the plant back late in the season. I have also found tiny seedlings growing near my garden shed where there is essentially no sun. It's a native species that appears very adaptable. I'll see how the plants in the shady sites do next year and let you know.

Positive SusanLouise On Aug 16, 2009, SusanLouise from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

What a great plant to add to a garden! The shape of the leaves are lovely, non-invasive and a true native. I planted 2 side by side for the Cloudless Sulphur Butterfly (one of my favorites!)...

Positive JonthanJ On Jan 28, 2009, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

When I noticed over the summer of 2008 that there were a dozen seedlings coming up through the grassy weeds within 20' of one that I had collected some years ago, on a south-facing clay loam hillside in one of my gardens, I got a bit antsy that it might be an invasive alien. It turns out that this is a native plant. Prairie Nursery suggests that it does well in clayey soils. It can be a chore to clean up the dead stems.

Positive srczak On Feb 3, 2006, srczak from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I like the texture of the pinnate leaves; the flowers are showy enough, maybe not outstanding. Easy to grow in fairly sunny spot, tho withstands some shade and fairly drought tolerant. It's a nitrogen-fixing legume, so seed is easily harvested from pods after they mature and dry on the plant in late summer/fall.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Albion, Indiana
Logansport, Indiana
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Sheffield, Massachusetts
Afton, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lincoln, Nebraska (2 reports)
Mount Laurel, New Jersey