Swamp Milkweed
Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Asclepias (ass-KLE-pee-us) (Info)
Species: incarnata (in-kar-NAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cinderella

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bridgeview, Illinois

North Tonawanda, New York

Wake Forest, North Carolina

Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania

North Augusta, South Carolina

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Los Fresnos, Texas

On May 11, 2012, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Mine is planted next to a gutter down spout so it takes up the excess water in the soil that the other plants in that bed don't necessarily need. I purchased it as a starter plant in spring of 2010. Spring of 2012 it has tripled in gerth size. I am in zone 6a and cut the old canes down in spring when I see new growth beginning to emerge. Last year I had several monarch cats on it as well as hummers.

On Apr 11, 2012, cougarvamp45 from Bridgeview, IL wrote:

I planted 6 of these last year, I ordered healthy plants with a well developed root system, & planted them in full sun. They grew tall but I didn't have any flowers on them. They were well watered, not allowed to dry out. Now it's spring, & all of my others perennials are making an appearance, but not the Milkweed, which is why I'm giving it a neutral rating. Is this slow to grow in the spring? Or did they die off?

On Aug 31, 2008, Danny112596 from Los Fresnos, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is supposed to grow in zones 4a-9b, yet I have one growing in zone 10a! This plant is adaptive. :-)

On Aug 19, 2008, gsteinbe from Trenton, NJ wrote:

This plant is vigorous. Mine get at least 4 feet tall. The flowers smell absolutely divine and are very pretty, especially up close. Lots of bugs seem to love the plants (including Monarch Butterfly catepillars, some little yellow aphid-like bugs, and bigger orange and black beetles that congregate in droves on the seed pods), but nothing seems to cause significant damage. They don't seem to bloom for long (hence my neutral rating), but they make tons of seed and look dramatic with their tall, strong stems and abundant leaves. They also don't seem to get many weeds growing up amongst them.

UPDATE: This spring almost none of my original planting of Cinderella butterfly weeds came back. I think that I may have watered them too much last year and kept them too wet. Or e... read more

On Sep 23, 2007, LeBug from Greenville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant I have two planted in different spots the butterflies love it! Mine doesn't set seed, does anyone know why it keeps coming back but no seed I'v had the plants for about three years now and want to plant more!

5-16-10 Well, it's taken me forever to figure out I didn't have this one I believe it is the Showy Milkweed but have seedlings of the Cinderella I'm planting this year so I'll be back when I've had it for a year.

On Sep 13, 2006, flamingonut from New Milford, NJ wrote:

Despite being an oleander aphid magnet (as are all milkweeds), it's tall, beautiful, and the monarch caterpillars like it. I had grown mine from commercial seed, and it doesn't look as dark as most pictures I've seen online. But, there are a few that match. I'm debating whether or not to upload my photo...