PlantFiles: Brazilian Red Cloak
Megaskepasma erythrochlamys

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Megaskepasma (me-gas-kee-PAS-muh) (Info)
Species: erythrochlamys (er-ith-roh-KLAM-is) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Late Fall/Early Winter
Mid Winter

Veined

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By TLynn

Thumbnail #6 of Megaskepasma erythrochlamys by giancarlo

By OregonCoastSeth
Thumbnail #7 of Megaskepasma erythrochlamys by OregonCoastSeth

Positive msadesign On Jun 5, 2014, msadesign from Naples, FL wrote:

This plant is thriving with heavy rich flowers in deep shade at the Naples Botanical Garden near the Brazilian Garden, where it is about 5' high; I don't think it will reach the listed 15' but I am watching it.

This one is a true gem that deserves wider use and is commercially available (but limited). I suspect protection from western summer sun is in order. Winter flowers in deep shade? Like nirvana!

I'm new here- when I figure out how to post photos, I will.

Positive bambooguy On Mar 16, 2014, bambooguy from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

Have had this plant for 4 years . Last year was the first year it bloomed . It was in lots of shade with afternoon sun . I love this plant . I live in port charlotte fla. I had to move it to an area where it's beauty would seen . It transplanted easily . I 've started two pots from cuttings , very easy to start . bambooguy

Positive Abutilon On Nov 26, 2013, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Beautiful plant in our warm seasons and in the greenhouse.
Got lots of notice from hummingbirds and visitors :)

Positive Remaxmary On Jul 10, 2013, Remaxmary from Spring, TX wrote:

I loved my Red Cloak last year. In one year it grew to about 10 feet tall and was full of beautiful red flowers. In Spring, Texas it lasted the winter and has grown another two feet this summer. But....it has no flowers. Am I to anxious or is it to early to have flowers? (July)

Positive kjeaaj On Jan 25, 2013, kjeaaj from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I planted several of these plants a few months ago in a shady part of our garden. I understand that they will eventually get 10+ feet. I am patiently waiting for privacy that they will someday give.

Does any one have experience growing these in mostly partly shady conditions? How fast do they typically grow given that they are properly maintained? They are about 2.5 feet tall now; How long should it take for them to be about 6 feet tall?

Positive FrankSchena On Feb 28, 2011, FrankSchena from Miami, FL wrote:

There was already a huge mature plant in my Miami yard when I moved there in 2008. It blooms constantly, although less in summer. We had our coldest weather in 20 years last year, but it still kept going, but some of the leaves got tattered. The local spot-breasted and wintering Baltimore orioles come to sip nectar from the floweres. Also ruby-throated hummingbirds use it too.

Positive TOMMARYANNE On Oct 8, 2009, TOMMARYANNE from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

THE BRAZILIAN RED CLOAK IS A SPECTACULAR PLANT, BUT HOW DOES ONE CONTROL IT'S HEIGHT WITHOUT DESTROYING IT'S ABILITY TO PRODUCE BLOOMS THE FOLLOWING FLOWERING CYCLE?

Positive MotherNature4 On Oct 29, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

They also last very well as cut flowers for arrangements.

Positive Dutchlady1 On Feb 29, 2008, Dutchlady1 from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I'm very happy with this profusely blooming and striking plant; it gets full sun until the height of summer when it is shaded by the mango tree under which it was planted.

Positive wilting_in_sac On Jan 31, 2008, wilting_in_sac from Sacramento, CA wrote:

Planted two last year and both were killed by an unusually cold Sacramento winter where we had 2 periods in the low 20s. Bought a new one last fall and so far, although it has dropped all its leaves, it's still alive down to 32 degrees and will hopefully come back in the spring. It tolerates but burns leaves in the direct afternoon Sacramento sun but seems to love the heat. It has been the home to a pair of very friendly mantises who camouflage perfectly against its leaves.

Positive bburns50 On Oct 2, 2006, bburns50 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Have had this plant for two years. First year it did not bloom. This year (second year) it started blooming in June and is still blooming (Oct.). It is beautiful. Required lots of water the first year. This year it has needed minimal water in filtered shade.

Positive bonrig On Aug 27, 2006, bonrig from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted 3 one gallon pots of these 2 years ago. They have now grown into a thick beautiful hedge 8 feet tall and about 10 feet wide. The flowers are beautiful and I have blooms all year long. Also, mine is grown in full sun.

Positive jnana On Mar 15, 2005, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Positive beverlyf On Jun 2, 2004, beverlyf from Weimar, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got this plant last year 2003, I am anxious to see it bloom this year. The plant is looking healthy and beautiful. Waiting for a bloom.

Sacramento, California
San Marino, California
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)
Brooksville, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Delray Beach, Florida
Englewood, Florida
Homestead, Florida
Melbourne, Florida
Miami, Florida (3 reports)
Naples, Florida (2 reports)
North Palm Beach, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida (2 reports)
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sanford, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Seminole, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Venice, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Lafayette, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana
Coal Center, Pennsylvania
Brazoria, Texas
Humble, Texas
Los Fresnos, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Weimar, Texas