PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Aunt Ruby's German Green'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Aunt Ruby's German Green

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

By Mr_Potatohead
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Mr_Potatohead

Neutral jmc1987 On Jul 18, 2014, jmc1987 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this variety last year. the plant performed quite well, although the taste was not something i would grow it again for. Its not bad when paired with cheese, but i think i will stick to the sweet and tangy varieties of green tomatoes. :)

Positive rainy_van_BC On Aug 12, 2013, rainy_van_BC from Vancouver

been stoked to try this... finally did today... everything I expected (based on other posts read)! awesome... had record sunshine this year so not sure in rainy Vancouver that I'll have the same result nexy year. only grew one this year and it's about 7 feet tall and probably 15+ tomatoes (less two after today :) ). I'll be definitely growing this again. of the two picked to eat today... only got one slice... my little daughter and wife ate the rest. will have to wait and guard the next one... :)

Positive CaliforniaGuy On Aug 4, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Relatively productive. One of the best, if not the best tomato I have eaten. The only problem is it seems prone to splitting when I pick them, and it is hard to tell when they are ripe when looking through the vine. Totally worth growing for me though.

Neutral hugobee On Jul 4, 2013, hugobee from Montreal, QC (Zone 5b) wrote:

Just a follow up to the comment from British Columbia, Canada. I started from seed, and so far, I have very few flowers starting. The plant looks healthy, I have two of them, but I am doubtful that I will get anything from it. I was really looking forward to trying this tomato as I love green tomatoes. Not sure our growing season inMontreal is going to be conducive to this variety, at least for this year. I will try again next year, just for the sake of giving it a second chance.

Negative jetlag4 On Apr 17, 2013, jetlag4 from McBride, British Columbia

I've tried this variety twice, both times with very little fruit. The few I got were okay in flavour, but not worth the effort for so little production. I won't be growing this variety again.

Neutral legallyheidi On Nov 24, 2012, legallyheidi from Griffin, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The plant was (and still is) huge! Nearly 6 feet...however, it has only produced one tomato, and it was the slowest growing tomato I've ever encountered.

Positive Lewis_Allen On Mar 26, 2011, Lewis_Allen from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

Plants started from seed performed very well in a strange year in Northern Indiana. Near constant rain, followed by drought. I was not prepared for the taste of these, which I can only describe as outstanding. Large, abundant fruits, did not crack while many of my other heirlooms did. For optimal taste, pick the tomatoes when you first begin to notice a golden-yellow tint developing.

Positive Ozark On Aug 14, 2008, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very good flavor. This made a large plant with large tomatoes, but it wasn't very productive. The excellent flavor makes up for it, though.

Positive Mr_Potatohead On Jul 6, 2007, Mr_Potatohead from San Mateo, CA wrote:

First time growing this tomato. It's outgrowing every other tomato in my yard. Thick, healthy green branches are growing wild. The picture of my plant shows it at 45 days. Never eaten one before so I'm dying to try it.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A great heirloom from Ruby Arnold of Greenville, TN.

Positive tmm99 On Sep 18, 2006, tmm99 from Sunnyvale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Boy, am I glad I grew Aunt Ruby's German Green this year for the first time! These tomatoes are suculant, sweet, and tasted different from any other red tomatoes I have ever tasted. People seem to say "spicy", but I don't know what that means. To me they have a really really good flavor. And pretty too!

I only grew one plant of Aunt Ruby's German Green, but I had tons of tomatoes off of it. I think I will plant two plants of this next season. It is definitely a "must grow" on my list for next year.

tmm

Neutral PurplePansies On Sep 17, 2006, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant was easy to grow, though not a TERRIBLY heavy bearer, and did take a fairly? long time to mature. The fruits are an interesting green color when fully ripe. And a really pretty green inside. ;) Like the inside of a kiwi. :) The flavor is okay. It isn't very spicey but is not all that mild. It is SLIGHTLY but not very sweet. It has some of that sourness of other green tomatos but not VERY sour. It is honestly? the least sour green tomato variety I have tried. Like a mix of sweet and sour. Nice flavor all the same. Not my FAVORITE tomato flavor but nice none the less. It is meaty (not the meatiest but meaty none the less). Not a ton of jelly and seeds. Fruits were large but not HUGE. Minorly? troubled by a bit of blossom end rot on some and some ripened unevenly (bottom ripened VERY fast, top ripened much slower) but none the less fairly easy to grow. I don't particularly love green tomatos so I wouldn't rave about this one, and I'm not sure if I'd take up space in my garden with it again.

Positive tropicalaria On Sep 7, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Wonderful spicy green tomato flavor. Produces well here and ripens with an amber flush, which is only skin-deep. One of my favorites.

Positive dlnevins On Aug 1, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

This plant's producing very large, light green beefsteak tomatoes in abundance this year. Judging when they're ripe can be a bit tricky; they get a faint yellow blush on the stem end and soften a bit. The flavor's spicy-sweet. The plant's vigorous and I've had no trouble with foliage diseases and only minimal blossom end rot. The fruits are prone to concentric cracking and the stem end and are occasionally misshapen, but neither of these traits have been real problems for me.

Neutral dvrmte On May 6, 2006, dvrmte from Pelzer, SC wrote:

i grew this variety for 2 years in zone 7 of south carolina. one year it died just as the first fruit ripened. the next year it yielded large tomatoes of excellent taste that got smaller as the season progressed. it died from disease sooner than most varieties. both years had higher than normal rainfall. this area is hard on tomatoes and few make it the entire season. i will try it again hoping for a drier year

Negative EileenAZ On Apr 27, 2006, EileenAZ from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted a couple dozen seeds, and although I think every single seed sprouted, only five have so far not keeled over dead to some sort of wilt. This happened mid-April in Tucson, Arizona. They hadn't dried out or gotted sun-scorched, they were started in full sun and were accustomed to it.

Positive Suze_ On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very good tasting, spicy sweet taste. Nice slicer, but fruits tended to get smaller for me as the season progressed.

Positive eweed On Nov 3, 2005, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Vigorous growing plant some what stingy with fruit but good size and the taste is wonderful.

This is a favorite for a former market gardener friend of mine for it's taste and texture.

Great color contrast when added with yellow orange and red tomatoes in salids and coarse cut salsas. I have grown this for two years and will continue to have this as a novelity plant.

Grown under plastic cover in my zone to get enough heat to mature.

Positive jmhewitt On Sep 21, 2004, jmhewitt from Hampstead, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I haven't grown ARGG personally, but we did try it at Tomatopalooza 04 in Raleigh. my wife and I both agreed that it was one of the best tasting tomatoes there, never mind about the color. I believe it was grown in Raleigh.

Michael

Negative Farmerdill On Nov 21, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This tomato has enough vigor to actully produce tomatoes in this area of Georgia, although several people to whom I furnished plants could not grow them to maturity. The tomatoes resembled an old time beefsteak, i.e., knotty and convoluted. I didn't care for the taste, but I wouldn't consider that unusual except that I could not find anyone else who liked them either. I know northern gardeners who rave about them so maybe they taste better up north. Sixty years ago I grew 'Evergreen', and although I don't have a side by side comparison, I don't find 'Aunt Ruby's' to be a significant improvement.

Positive Mischka On Jul 6, 2003, Mischka from Webster, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Aunt Ruby's German Green has become a "must grow" for me. The flavor is simply outstanding. The plants are always very vigorous growing and hardy in my MA garden and yield is very acceptable.

Thank you Ruby Arnold, may you rest in peace knowing your tomatoes live on:)

Neutral Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I had mixed (actually fairly negative) results with this plant this year. But that may have been due to our very strange (hot, cold, wet, hot, cold, wet) spring that delayed getting my plants out. The seedlings of Aunt Ruby didn't hold up nearly as well as some other varieties, and many (all?) of them wimped out and died before they set fruit (if there are any survivors, I haven't seen fruit from them yet.)

I will try them again, though - they're too interesting to permanently shelve.

Positive TomatoCarl On Aug 12, 2002, TomatoCarl wrote:

I agree with everything Melody wrote. This has become my wife's favorite tomato. Even if you only grow a few plants, I would suggest you give this one a try.

Positive melody On May 2, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

These tomatoes are about 1 pound or a little less.They ripen a true green on the outside with the flesh a chartruse shade,sometimes with a pink blush.

They have a wonderful spicy taste and are best when used fresh.Use another tomato if you are planning on cooking or processing them.These have the texture and feel of a conventionally colored tomato and should never be used for fried green tomatoes.Only unripe tomatoes will work with this recipe.

The tomato is ripe when the green skin gets an amber blush as seen in the photo.It may take some practice to determine ripeness,but they are well worth it.

This Regular Leafed plant is not overly productive,but the unique taste and coloration make up for it.

Wetumpka, Alabama
Springdale, Arkansas
Brea, California
Highlands-baywood Park, California
Lakewood, California
Santee, California
Sunnyvale, California
Stratford, Connecticut
Augusta, Georgia (2 reports)
Griffin, Georgia