PlantFiles: Red Pineapple, Wild Pineapple
Ananas bracteatus

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ananas (A-nan-as) (Info)
Species: bracteatus (brak-tee-AY-tus) (Info)

Not Applicable

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

This plant is monocarpic

By budding

By TamiMcNally
Thumbnail #1 of Ananas bracteatus by TamiMcNally

By giancarlo
Thumbnail #2 of Ananas bracteatus by giancarlo

Positive bethtimothy On Jun 1, 2013, bethtimothy from Naples, FL wrote:

I have at least 24-30 red pineapple plants in my yard with 24 pineapples blooming. I want to know when I should pick them. At lease 4 are as big as pineapples in store.

Neutral jakkrabit On Jul 24, 2012, jakkrabit from Hunters Creek, FL wrote:

I live in orlando florida and if anyone knows where i can get one of these please let me know. I have been searching for weeks now and would like get some growing in my garden.

Thanks!

Positive mommakitty On May 20, 2011, mommakitty from Keaau, HI wrote:

I live on the east side of the Big Island of Hawaii. This plant was given to me 2 years ago. It is now in full bloom and oh so beautiful. The leaves are extremely pokey, beware! Several people have stopped by to admire it. Many people had never seen one before and now they all want one!

Positive GailBelle On Mar 23, 2008, GailBelle from Seffner, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We live ten miles east of downtown Tampa Florida. This plant was here when we moved to this property five years ago; we are unable to determine when it may have been planted by the previous owner. It shares a corner with several other tropicals and It was in almost complete shade until the last 18 mos when several large, very old oaks were either taken down for safety, or had fallen on their own.

I saw the bloom several weeks ago--and was pleased--just yesterday I realized it's a fruit! WOW.

It has not been fertilized or otherwise nurtured, but the soil here is very rich; a rather high elevation for Florida, and I'm told that 100 years ago this was a cow pasture (hence the fertile soil.)

Will advise of the tastiness whenthe time comes!

Neutral digital_dave On Jul 26, 2006, digital_dave from Springfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm not sure why this particular cultivar is labeled Ananas bracteatus. Somewhat recently, all the Ananas species (including the former bracteatus) were combined into various varieties of Ananas comosus.

Chester Skotak (who brought us the spectacular Neoregelia 'Hannibal Lector' among many others) has produced some great Pineapple cultivars in his nursery in Costa Rica.
Dave.

Editor's Note

Ananas bracteatus is not a cultivar, but a species. To the best of our knowledge, it has not been lumped in with A. comosus nor do we find any indication it should be shown as a variety of A. comosus.

Positive cspacey On Oct 24, 2005, cspacey from Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have 4 plants on my patio in an apartment. grew them from the tops off of supermarket fruit. I have had them for almost a year now and are doing great and have double and triple in size. One has already started to form a fruit. They seem to take well to the desert here in the Phoenix area.

I watered them about every other day right in the center opening of the of the plant and they have almost full sun. some of the leaves do get bleached out at the tips from the heat and sun during the hot summer months though

Neutral salvia_lover On Jan 22, 2005, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

this plant requires a minimum temperature of 59F/15C

Positive pinkstink On Jun 11, 2004, pinkstink from Winter Park, FL wrote:

This plant grows in Orlando Florida. I have it in the ground in the shade with very little sunlight, direct, indirect or otherwise. The soil is rich but I use no fertilizer nor have I put any plant food on it. I have found it to be a sturdy happy plant. It seems to require little water when grown in the shade however, alot of water doesn't seem to bother it at all. I am very pleased with this plant in fact I am quite fond and attached to it as I found it about 2 years ago as a small plant in a pot hanging out of someones trashcan as I was going for an evening walk. The soil was bone dry and the plant looked weak but stong willed. I enjoy showing it to visitors, it's so beautiful and I enjoy owning it very much. It has born it's first fruit this year and already another is growing from the base of this 1st fruit. (I feel like I've become a grand mother.) On a scale of one to ten as far as tropical plants go I find this one ranks about 10.

Chandler, Arizona