Aristea ecklonii

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aristea (air-ISS-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: ecklonii (ek-lon-ee-eye) (Info)

Medium Blue

Mandeville, Louisiana

Port Norris, New Jersey

Yachats, Oregon

On May 9, 2015, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I like this plant. It has lovely blue flowers and for me it hasn't been invasive as the bloom stalks take quite a while to make seed so they are easily removed, or left for that matter. The leaves are interesting, having a pleated effect and the bloom stalks create multiple blooms, for me in early spring with the daffodils.

On Aug 24, 2013, Bilingabeach from Gold Coadt
Australia wrote:

This is an incredibly invasive weed that is basically impossible to eradicate. It should be banned from sale and should be listed as weed through out Australia. Nurserymen selling it should be made to pay fo it's eradication along with all the invasive weeds I spend my time getting rid of in our beautiful natural bush.

On Oct 27, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Aristea ecklonii - one of nature's 'true blue' little beauties. It grows as a fan of pale green leaves, and has lovely blue flowers from Spring onwards which open for just a few sunlight hours. It can be found growing on the roadsides and on grass verges. I have had Aristea growing in a contained area in previous gardens.

On Jan 13, 2007, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant plays well with others here in southeast Texas--that is to say, it is not invasive here. But it easy to grow from seed if you want to.

On Mar 18, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

I found this growing wild and planted it in my garden, but have come to regret that I did. It self seeds prolifically and I have been trying to eliminate it for several years now, but fresh seedlings still keep emerging.

On Nov 23, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Swordlike evergreen leaves in clumps are very similar to agapanthus in appearance, but flowers are not as nice. Winged, flattened flower stalks tend to flop over and aren't as conspicuous as their bright blue color would indicate. Very important to dead-head to prevent self-sowing. Drought resistant, but look a lot better with some water.

May 2003: now in their second flowering season, my aristeas have really started blooming profusely. Seem to be holding up the flower stems better too, so that one can finally admire the beautiful blue flowers. They close up at night, however.