Black-eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy, Yellow Ox-eye Daisy
Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rudbeckia (rud-BEK-ee-a) (Info)
Species: hirta (HER-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Indian Summer

Biennials

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Dothan, Alabama

Alderwood Manor, Washington

Olympia, Washington

negative

On Jul 24, 2015, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

It has only grown in my garden for one season, so no invasiveness issues yet. I have r. Goldstrum and r. Denver Daisy planted relatively close together and the variety of blooms in same area provides nice visual interest.

On Mar 17, 2012, caringgardener from Youngsville, LA wrote:

I discovered this variety of rudbeckia because I couldn't find Rudbeckia 'Eary Bird Gold'. Poole Brothers in Forest Hill, LA suggested Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer', so I bought 6 of them. I was able to transplant all six this year, and I divided them, which gave me around 40 individual plants. They multiply vertically on the old stems. They bloomed all year last year. I just went back to Forest Hill, LA today and bought 55 more. They have become one of my favorites in the yard and as a cut flower.

On Jul 11, 2011, fuchsiamama from Republic, MO wrote:

Love this plant! Very impressive statement in the garden!! It is grown in the Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens at Nathanael Greene Park. It definitely self sows as a nice big one is growing in the vegetable garden this year! The pics I took are twins of some of the ones posted here.

On Apr 26, 2011, Hindernone from Broadway, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

We planted 8 of these last spring. So far this spring 4 are returning. We loved these blooms so much this past season that we purchased 10 more plants this spring.

On Jun 13, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought and planted 2 of these in different areas of my yard last summer-2009. Neither one came back this year. We have heavy snows in winter with low temps, and it says they would do well in our zone -5a ( Geneva, Ohio), but they didn't. They completely disappeared. No trace of them having ever been there, but the plant marker.

On Jul 25, 2005, rscadlock from Lynnwood, WA wrote:

I purchased 3 of these plants last fall, they kept blooming right through to November. In winter they died back, but in spring they bounced right back. I just love them. The color they add to my garden is amazing. The cut flowers last for a very long time and there seems to be an endless supply to bring indoors. I would recommend this plant to anyone.

On Jun 24, 2004, Brent_In_NoVa from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted three of these plants in my garden last year and love it! The flowers are huge, the foliage is handsome, and the bloom season long. A friend of my neighbor came over to take pictures.

This spring it was slow to come up. I have some other rudbeckia that were 12" tall before my Indian Summer started to show growth. I did not deadhead last year and I ended up with a lot of seedlings this year (that is cool with me...free plants!...gave some away and will move some to another spot in my yard).

On Jul 17, 2003, judiartist from Phoenixville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Bought one of these this year for the first time. My plant is now almost 4 feet tall and blooms range from 4 to 5 inches across on long stems -- excellent for cutting! I would recommend this over any other rudbeckia I've tried for anyone wishing to cut flowers. (Other varieties I've tried have small blooms with varying age and quality clustered together -- a challenge for flower arranging at best!)

On Jul 6, 2003, MartyJo from Fayette, IA (Zone 4b) wrote:

The seed packet listed this as an annual in our area - Zone 4b - but I have had several plants come back 3 or more years. Better yet, it self seeds, so there are always younger plants coming along. Does not seed so prolifically that it becomes a problem.