Turk's Turban, Sky Rocket, Bowing Lady

Clerodendrum indicum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: indicum (IN-dih-kum) (Info)
Synonym:Siphonanthus indicus

Marianna, Florida

Paxton, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Pinellas Park, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (3 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Lafayette, Louisiana (2 reports)

Thibodaux, Louisiana

Clinton, Mississippi

Ocean Springs, Mississippi (2 reports)

Summerville, South Carolina

Missouri City, Texas

On Oct 29, 2015, bariolio from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I hate to give a plant a negative rating but for me in my zone, the negatives outweigh the positives. It would be just wonderful if it didn't travel! I had/have (explained later) it in a shady spot by the house. It grows tall & drops over; it will not branch out with pruning. It does make nice white flower clusters that leave a pretty red cluster when gone. But it travels underground & pops up everywhere. My hubby finally took out the main plant but I don't know how long it will take to get rid of the whole thing. I have a small space & need well-behaved plants!

On Sep 6, 2013, TurksTurbin from Lincolnville, SC wrote:

Love the fragrant smell of this unusual flower. I have several of these growing in my yard. The tallest grows to about 15'. Everything I've read says they grow to 10'. I've uploaded a picture of mine bowing under my porch roof. The plant is growing out of the ground about 3' - 4' in front of the porch and the porch floor is elevated between 4' - 5' above ground level and the ceiling is 10' high! Should be blooming in a week or two.

On May 20, 2008, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Blooms late spring through fall in my zone. Qualified positive, only because the seed pods are so very decorative.
Fragrant flowers, and the foliage (thankfully) is not horrifically stinky like some other clerodendrums.
It is pretty invasive, and certainly cold hardy in zone 9a.

On Jul 28, 2007, suzanne_v from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

This plant is my bane. It suckers so aggressively here in Florida that you cannot get rid of it. The roots spread for yards and yards, so that you can't dig it all up and Round-Up doesn't seem to faze the roots. It has the very annoying habit of popping up in the middle of other plants where efforts to dig it out would severly damage the desirable plants.

On Jul 12, 2003, TX_js from Missouri City, TX wrote:

Interesting as part of a Clerodendrum collection but more suited to background planting among other large, coarse plants. Common name "Sky Rocket" derives from its persistent slender, vertical, nonbranching habit, frequently to 10 ft. tall. "Bowing Lady" could allude to the habit of the vertical stalks to be overcome by gravity at the height of the growing season or for the flower stalks to sometimes droop.

My plant has been in the ground for ten years; I cut it back every winter and it returns vigorously in spring. It is located near a brick wall, in medium shade under a pine tree. No amount of pruning (even near ground level) has succeeded in encouraging a more branching habit. Suckering has not been observed. The blooms in late summer make cultivation worthwhile.