Corokia, Wire-Netting Bush

Corokia cotoneaster

Family: Cornaceae
Genus: Corokia (kor-ROH-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: cotoneaster (kot-on-ee-ASS-ter) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Burlingame, California

Fremont, California

Livermore, California

Redding, California

Sonoma, California

Salem, Massachusetts

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

On Nov 23, 2015, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

Grows well for us in Sonoma zone 9A. Unique and attractive, nice with under-lighting, love the compliment of purple-magenta flowered bulbs such as cyclamen, iris etc. I like it treated more sculpturally vs as a shrub-blob. Fell in love with this plant the first time I saw it.

On Sep 3, 2013, httpmom from Livermore, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the pride of the Zen Garden in our new house. Cant say enough about the beauty of this plant. I had one in our old house and the Blow And Go gardeners pulled it out because they thought it was a weed. A $60 weed! (Haneedless to say, when we moved I decided to do all my own gardening. Years of pleasure as a result.) Corokia is an evergreen from New Zealand. The leaves are tiny tiny and of a blue-black-silver color. Stunning against any green. The other wonderful thing about this plant is the awesomeness of using the branches as foliage in flower arrangements. It is slow to grow, so spend the money for a gallon pot...if you can find one. Also it is easily pruned to keep it the size you desire. Just treasure it.

On Jul 1, 2009, granitegneiss from Norridgewock, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant and was determined to have it, even in my hopelessly cold zone. I successfully overwintered it in a pot in a sunroom that is heated to 50 degrees (but will get warmer on sunny days). During the summer, I put it outside.

On Jan 30, 2009, Ficurinia from Portland, OR wrote:

This plant is much hardier than the profile says it is. My Corokia plants live in two different containers outside, in a slightly protected area, and have made it through several very cold spells here in the Northwest. These are plants people always ask about, and almost always want to find for themselves. I highly recommend this plant, even with its cute little yellow blooms.

On Sep 1, 2003, pleb from Plymouth,
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Also known as the 'Wire-netting bush' because the young shoots grow in an attractive zig-zag fashion. Tiny yellow flowers in Spring are followed by small orange fruits. Native of New Zealand.