PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Azoychka'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Azoychka
Additional cultivar information: (aka Zolotoy Barago, Azochka)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

By aries44
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by aries44

By Suze_
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Positive beebonnet On Oct 26, 2011, beebonnet from Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this tomato for it's lemon yellow color and it's lemony flavor. Sweet and tart and lemony. Delicious on sandwiches. It also seems to go on longer in the fall after cold weather begins.

Positive DonShirer On Aug 2, 2010, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grew for the first time this year thanks to a seed exchange. Plants are healthy, fruits are prolific, medium sized beefsteaks and fairly early. Taste is milder than Kellogg's Breakfast but it's worth trying again next year. I have noticed that the birds pecking away at my red tomatoes did not attack these yellow beauties.
Update: One month later and the fruits are still coming like mad, but on average are smaller in size, say 6-8 oz.

Neutral Gymgirl On Jun 19, 2007, Gymgirl from SE Houston (Hobby), TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A newbie grower, and this cultivar for the first time, too. I found it to be a mild taste, compared to the other varieties I'm growing. Big, meaty, and juicy. And, yes, the Leaffooted Stinkbugs gathered on these fruits like a fleas on at a dog convention! I used a 2-gallon sprayer of Ortho Bug-Be-Gone (Now Ortho Max) and mixed in a few drops of Lemon Ajax, and the Stinkbugs just moseyed on along, until the rain washed the plants clean again.

I did start have quite a bit of BER on these (rainy April) but, once the rain stabilized, they took off like gangbusters. Very many fruits on the vine. Not sure the flavor was worth the long wait for this cultivar...

I might give it a chance again, though, to see what a dryer season will produce in the way of flavor.

Positive dlnevins On Aug 1, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

A nice, fairly early, small yellow beefsteak type. The flavor is a bit more "acid" than is usual for a yellow tomato. The plant is strong and a good grower, and the yield is high. I've had no serious disease problems, and have never seen blossom end rot on this variety. The fruits are fairly crack-resistant, too. This one's earned a permanent place in my garden.

Positive billbird2111 On May 30, 2006, billbird2111 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

I had a terrible growing year last year. Had about 20 plants, and the only one that turned out any fruit was the mighty Azoychka.

Production off this one plant was also limited, but I hate to blame it on the variety, as it produced a lot better than my other plants (which produced zilch).

Taste for mine was smoky. You could have this with a BLT, minus the B, and not even realize it was missing. Good tomato.

Did not plant again this year, but may plant in future years. Good flavor, outstanding texture, great in salads or sandwiches.

Neutral dmj1218 On May 8, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine were very sweet, not a bit of zip to them. The plant, however, leaves a lot to be desired. While the fruit is good and sweet, the quantity for such a large plant was pitifully small. Compared to other varieties planted all around azoycka, it is the poorest producer. I'm assuming it can't be my cultural practices....who knows?

Positive Suze_ On Mar 31, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Good, zippy flavor -- especially for such an early tomato. Easy to grow, medium sized beefsteaks.

Positive Marchem On Feb 2, 2006, Marchem from Lages
Brazil wrote:

We are in South of Brazil and we have succes with this tomato. This cultivar growth very well, resistant with a delicious sweet and acid flavor. The fruits are not so regular in shape, butt have a nice colour and nice taste.

Negative eweed On Nov 3, 2005, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant grew well set fruit well but I did not care for its taste it seemed watery to me a friend raved about it though so I guess it is worth you trying to see if you like it. I won't be growing it next season.

Positive duraki On Jun 16, 2005, duraki from Bryan, TX wrote:

I'll defend this odd little tomato. It grew reasonably well here and Texas, and yes it has a flavor that is an acquired taste. If you like that citrusy-tart flavor (which i do) it is a refreshing and different tomato. I will grow it again. I recommend mixing it in a salad with one of the sweeter varieties (I mix it with Soldacki, another winner) for great combo.

UPDATE June 2006: Still a great tomato. Yield is moderate...wish it was more productive. New issue: leaffooted bugs seem attracted to this tomato more than any other.

Neutral patski On May 24, 2002, patski wrote:

This sounds like a Yellow Brandywine, which I think are delicious. Not sure if I've had an Azoychka, so I can't compare them, but I'm growing one this year.

Neutral melody On May 1, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tomato was supposed to be Azoychka.It is NOT. I bought seeds in 1998 from Totally Tomatoes and the result is this huge Potato Leaf plant with these monster big tomatoes. They grow true from saved seed,so whatever I was sold was a stable variety.

Both Carolyn Male and Craig Lehoullier have looked at pictures and have agreed that this is not what SSE has described as Azoychka.

A true Azoychka is a much smaller tomato with a true yellow coloring.It is Regular Leafed and nothing at all like what is shown. The huge Potato Leaves looks like they're on steroids.They are almost 18 inches long and very thick and fleshy.They look like nothing else in my garden and can be identifed from some distance.

If anyone has the same tomato,or has any info on an i.d. please feel free to post.

Granada Hills, California