PlantFiles: Rhipsalis
Rhipsalis micrantha

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhipsalis (RIP-sa-lis) (Info)
Species: micrantha (my-KRANTH-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Rhipsalis wercklei
Synonym:Rhipsalis tonduzii
Synonym:Cactus micranthus

Cactus and Succulents
Epiphytes

Late Fall/Early Winter

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By plantladylin

Thumbnail #3 of Rhipsalis micrantha by plantladylin

By palmbob
Thumbnail #4 of Rhipsalis micrantha by palmbob

Positive copilot On Sep 25, 2012, copilot wrote:

I just bought this plant today -- and I thought it was a part of the catcus family (due to my other plant, the pencil cactus which I TOTALLY love) but the person in the store said no. It didn't matter either way, I was drawn to it. I am considering putting it on my master tub's window sill (it's a glass block window) I truly hope that since the window faces East that'll be enough sunlight for this plant. SOOOO pretty already and full - I am so excited to see it grow!

Positive faymster On Sep 3, 2012, faymster from ARIPEKA, FL wrote:

I bought this plant in the marked down section at walmart and had no idea what it was called until today. It is such a cool plant, it grows like a crazy man's hair or something. I have gotten small orange "blooms " on the end of the triangular shaped stems or whatever they are. I love it, it's quirky. !! i have it in the corner of my deck where it gets plenty of sun, but not severe sun. It is still in the pot I bought it in and it just thrives on neglect. It needs more soil in a bigger pot, but I'm afraid to jinx it. Everyone who visits asks me about this plant..and now I can tell them something. Thanx !

Positive xaia On Oct 13, 2011, xaia from Kitchener

I have a 10 year old hanging basket of this lovely Rhipsalis which I fondly refer to as "Rhippy" and it is one of my most cherished of plants. It is so easy to care for that it practically thrives on neglect, save for the occassional watering it gets two or three times a month on my part. It has weathered the extremes of summer rains, droughts, cool fall temperatures, drafts, low humidity, fluctuating light levels, underfertilizing, has been potbound, and yet it still thrives for me. It has shed many of its phylloclades or "leaves" in the past only to fill out again. I have taken cuttings and rooted them easily in a mix of peat and sandy potting mix. It has flowered annually and is a wonderful old friend to have in my home. If you can get past its awkward "leafless" appearance, you'll definitely fall in love with its charm and ease of care! I know I have!

Positive plantladylin On Oct 27, 2006, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this plant for a few years, seems very easy to grow! I Had no idea what it was until recently when it was Identified here on the DG website. I have always called it my "String Bean Plant" because that's what it looks like to me (like green beans hanging out of the basket)! The original plant is still in the original hanging basket, kept on a shaded deck...no direct sun at all! Very easy to root cuttings! Doesn't seem to require a lot of care ... just a bit of water once every couple of weeks. Interesting and nice house plant!

Albany, California