Moon Cactus, Queen of the Night, Fish-bone Cactus, Rick-Rack Cactus
Epiphyllum anguliger 'Gertrudianum'

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Epiphyllum (ep-ih-FYE-lum) (Info)
Species: anguliger (an-GYOO-lih-ger) (Info)
Cultivar: Gertrudianum

Catskill, New York

Medford, Oregon

Pflugerville, Texas

On Sep 23, 2008, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

"Christine," as I call my E. anguliger (as in the pop star -- yuk yuk), took a couple of years to decide to grow and bloom from a small plant from a New England mail-order nursery. I was led to believe that she was a fall bloomer and indeed she was the first year. Now she blooms twice a year, in waves of about two weeks each. Spring and fall -- mid day length. We're in southern NJ.

She spends the winter in full southeastern sun in my sunroom and the summer May-Sept hanging in dappled shade on a bough of a yellow pine -- where it flowers like crazy with the right day length. Fertilization is haphazard and usually fish emulsion. This summer I "abandoned" many of my green children, neglecting to water them throughout a drought here in NJ, but fortunately the dew was a life-save... read more

On Jul 9, 2008, CoolJazz from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I have had this plant growing in the same pot for some 20 years. It has reached approximately 9 feet in height. It produces some 16-20 fragrant, flowers on a single night in mid Summer, with repeat flowering of up to 6 flowers sporadically until first frost. The number of blooms per flowering episode appears to decline with each flowering episode and as temperatures begin to drop. For me, it flowers annually- and there are approximately 6 events per annum.

Position: prefers full sun, north facing aspect and likes to be somewhat pot-bound. (will not flower if left in shade, even light shade)

Growing: In pots, outside. Top dress with Dynamic Lifter every 1-2 years; light prune occassionally for shape as can become straggly. Trim excessively long canes to mainta... read more

On May 28, 2006, Queen41 from Catskill, NY wrote:

This bloomed last nite a round 11 p.m. for the first time since I have had it. It took a long time for me to get one flower.
Will I be getting more flowers and how long do I have to wait for another once?
Will this bloom die off now or will it open again tonite?
It has started to climb toward the ceiling in the dining room.
I have it in a clay pot facing East Side of house where I get the most sun.
I started it from a clipping which I just stuck in a pot of dirt.
It has a beautiful smell........indescribable......heavenly!
I think I have had this plant for about five years.

On May 14, 2006, Two_and_a_cat from Titusville, FL wrote:

What a treat! It looks like a cactus, climbs up into trees, then in late spring/early summer (May) it bloomed- big, beautiful, perfumey blooms! It starts incredibly easy from cuttings- you can just stick 'emin the ground, or start them in water. Everyone who has seen the flowers has asked for some. Here in Titusville it grows great in our SE front yard under and in a large tree (we think it's some kind of ornamental cherry tree).