Perennial Pansy, Winter Pansy 'Etain'

Viola

Family: Violaceae (vy-oh-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viola (vy-OH-la) (Info)
Cultivar: Etain

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Pale Yellow

Cream/Tan

By stooling or mound layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Hayward, California

Lodi, California

Miranda, California

Richmond, California (2 reports)

Santa Clara, California

Kinnear, Wyoming

Pavillion, Wyoming

Riverton, Wyoming

On Apr 15, 2015, Deltabreeze from Lodi, CA wrote:

Viola etain. susnset zone 14. Lodi,ca. Coastal influence in summer.
Days 90 Night 60. My second year. Great color for my garden. Grows
well in this climate zone morning sun and afternoon shade makes this a
standout. Wish I had more.

On Apr 10, 2014, wyomingsage from Kinnear, WY (Zone 4a) wrote:

Had little problem with this viola overwintering in Central Wyomings sagebrush country, Zone 4a, in non-mulched, non-supplemented, loamy soil and located on the south side of an unheated garage. Additional, circumstantial detailsWinter moisture alternated between sparse, but frequent snow cover to no snow cover at all for our generally cold and dry winters (9 annual precipitation). The viola apparently received enough moisture (but not too much as to rot) from roof snow sliding off and melting at the roofs drip line on warmer days. As the viola wasnt always covered with snow, it remained pretty exposed to the cold air a good portion of the time. During the winter months it actually was covered partially by a very thin layer of fall leaf 'die-off' from a nearby juvenile hollyhock. Ho... read more

On May 25, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This viola has performed very well in zone 4a. I have a photo of mine blooming on Dec. 4 of 2009 and on Easter Sunday/April 4th of 2010--unbelievable! I love these violas so much that I keep getting more of them. I think I have about a dozen now. Mine are under a very messy cedar tree in a mostly shady location. They all went through this past winter, which was a real Minnesota winter, with no covering at all. The only thing I do to this plant is deadhead it consistently and trim it back if it gets leggy. These violas are fragrant and do well as a cut flower, although the stems are fairly short.

On Apr 17, 2010, bsewall from Richmond, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These fragrant perennials are long blooming with yellow and lavender flowers that have an almost iridescent quality you just cant take your eyes of them. I have them planted in an old wine barrel in the shade with plenty of moisture and rich, loamy soil. And they just keep on blooming.

On Nov 24, 2005, bonniewong from edmonton,

Beautiful Viola, it is blooming like crazy all spring, summer and fall. It says it is hardy to zone 4, I am in zone 3/4 but can overwinter zone 5/6 plants with little or no mulch as I get tons of snow. I can't overwinter this viola, very frustrating, I bought it yet again, will mulch the heck out of it, and cross my fingers!

On Jun 1, 2004, jayhawk9 from Staten Island, NY wrote:

Ordered 3 'etain violas' because the picture looked good in the catalogue and they had a light fragrance. I live in a New York City suberb and I AM DELIGHTED!! All three are thriving. They provide a beautiful sight and a most agreeable olfactory experience. Next year I intend to order many, many more. With limited backyard space, I want a floral display through-out the summer with easy maintenance. The etain viola will certainly be at the top of my order list for next season.

On Nov 11, 2002, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes,
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my favourite of all the named Violas. It is a very good doer compared to some and flowers very freely over a long period. The flowers are wonderfully scented too.