Bush Lily, Clivia Lily, St. John's Lily, Boslelie, Fire Lily
Clivia miniata 'Solomone Hybrid'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clivia (KLY-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: miniata (min-ee-AH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Solomone Hybrid

Bulbs

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

Pale Yellow

Late Fall/Early Winter

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Wasilla, Alaska

Surprise, Arizona

San Francisco, California (2 reports)

Thousand Oaks, California

Brooksville, Florida

Corvallis, Oregon

Mont Belvieu, Texas

On Jul 15, 2009, jrtinker from Palmer, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I grew this plant from seed as a houseplant. It took seven years to mature and begin blooming. This was the third year it bloomed, and each year it has more bloom stalks. It seems to prefer part shade, because the leaves sunburn easily here, whether near a window or outside in the summer. The plant was badly attacked by scale insects that hitchhiked in from another plant this winter. I'm still fighting them.

The seeds germinate while in the pod, and must be sown fresh and not allowed to dry out. The plant originates in South Africa, and likes a wet season and a dry season.

On Jun 25, 2008, revlar from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Solomone's nursery in Watsonville, CA is well known for their Clivia's. Joe Solomone had been hybridizing Clivia for years until his death earlier this month.

There are a number of yellow Clivia available in the market place but the ones that were hybridized by Mr. Solomone are considered to be the best in the U.S. and they are more expensive than the common yellow plants. So if you have a yellow flowering plant and the label doesn't have the Solomone name it should be much less expensive. His plants have spectacular color variations and his yellow Clivia collection has set the standard in the industry.

On Mar 18, 2008, aasalas from Lewes, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

Bug_Girl was saying the *yellow* clivia, Solomone Hybrid, is very expensive; the orange is much more common and so far less expensive.

But the yellow clivias have come down considerably in price since even 5 or 6 years ago.

I have one yellow and one orange, both in their 2nd year, and both blooming again, the orange with two spikes. I have heard that they need to be pot-bound, but one is in a very large pot (the yellow). I've also heard that they require cool winters to bloom; we keep ours are at our Delaware house, which we leave quite cool (around 50 F) most of the winter, except weekends when we're there.

On Jan 29, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My plant is 18" high. It did not bloom in 2004 but looks like I'll have blooms this year. (I overwintered mine in greenhouse.)

On Jun 30, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought 2 orange-flowered clivia at a local supermarket for $12 a piece. They were quite large, in 8" pots. One plant already had buds, and the second plant developed buds about 3 weeks after I'd brought it home. This is a very nice, reliable plant. I moved it outside about a month ago to a shady spot, and it seems happy there - except for the fact that the chipmunks like to dig in the pots. I put clumps of doghair around the plants, and the chippies haven't touched the plants in days.

On Jun 28, 2004, Oregongardengir from Corvallis, OR wrote:

I only paid $2 for my Kaffir Lily! Bought it from a woman who has a most beautiful, mature garden and divides plants every year and then has a sale. Everything is $1 or $2. My lily is only about 2' tall with two spires, and hasn't bloomed yet, but it has doubled in size since I transplanted it and looks likes its adjusting well. Wish I'd bought more. Hope to see flowers in the fall.

Also bought a gooseneck loostrife from her. Anyone know anything about it. Invasive??

On Nov 11, 2002, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

These sell for 75 dollars each, but you can find them for 50 if you shop around. They are slow growers. Mine developed rust, in full shade. Snails love them. The roots like to be compressed, so plant in containers or in groups, close together. They bloom once a year. They are suitable as house plants. I found one for 30 dollars at a plant show.