Chilean Fire Bush, Flame Flower

Embothrium coccineum

Family: Proteaceae (pro-tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Embothrium (em-BOTH-ree-um) (Info)
Species: coccineum (kok-SIN-ee-um) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Brazoria, Texas

Brownsville, Texas

El Campo, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Bellevue, Washington

Federal Way, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Tacoma, Washington

Vashon, Washington

On Oct 25, 2014, emortal from christchurch
New Zealand wrote:

I have a 15 foot Embothrium tree growing on my property that withstands frosts of minus 8C with no problems,i'm in christchurch, NEW ZEALAND, it is growing in light sandy soil 1km from the sea,evergreen and flowers freely in October each year

On Feb 19, 2014, Anisotome from Tresta, Shetland Islands
United Kingdom wrote:

I have several Embothrium coccineum in my garden, all originally raised from seed collected in Tierra del Fuego and donated to my plant collection by the Faroese Forestry Depatment and Milde Arboretum, Norway. They survived long spells of -12 Celsius and the occasional dip to -14. This tree is easily raised from seed, sown as soon as ripe and kept out of doors, but second generation seedlings took a long time to get into their stride on nutrient-poor, highly acidic soil, looked starved with purple-tinged leaves but, resisting the urge to feed them, which must never be done, they have now found their feet. In flower, these plants are scond to none and look impossible exotic in my 60 degrees north garden.

On May 22, 2013, Recognita from Edmonds, WA wrote:

Plants with quite narrow leaves, most or all of which drop in fall probably referable to the E. coccineum Lanceolatum cultivar group rather than typical E. coccineum. Plants appearing to fit Lanceolatum the dominant type in my area for instance, where typical E. coccineum might not be hardy. The only evergreen version I have seen here is 'Inca Flame', on the market for a brief period, which having ~narrow evergreen leaves probably belongs to the Longifolium cultivar group.

On Jun 9, 2008, growin from Beautiful, BC (Zone 9b) wrote:

In my opinion, a completely under-utilized tree in the Pacific Northwest. When in bloom - a mesmerizing experience as if it were on fire. Good drainage, sun and protection is what it does well with and the results are breath-taking. A highly desireable tree worth every penny.

On Aug 13, 2003, AJQ from Bangor
United Kingdom wrote:

Do not fertilise. Phosphates will kill this plant !