Cotton
Gossypium herbaceum

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gossypium (gos-SIP-ee-um) (Info)
Species: herbaceum (her-buh-KEE-um) (Info)

Morrilton, Arkansas

Bedford, Texas

De Leon, Texas

Midland, Texas

On Aug 7, 2012, Nefitara from Port Richey, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have one growing now from some seeds I got. How exciting is it to grow cotton?!! Not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm happy it's doing good :)

On Feb 9, 2006, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Wonderful and FUN plant to grow. It can be grown in the ground or in containers. This plant is quite a "movie"! The first flowers that appear are white, then they change to yellow-ish, then to a slight-pink. Once pollinated you'll witness the closed boll, which is green, and as it ripens it'll turn dark. Soon, the cotton itself will declare and pop, or puff(!), from the boll. A wonderful plant to watch through all it's stages!

On Jan 1, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the most important crops of the civilized world. Cotton has become one of the most useful cultivated crops, bringing us clothing, paper, oils, and lots of other items so vital to our lives.

It likes a long, hot growing season to produce the best fibers, so the South in the USA is an important growing area, as is Africa, and the Middle East.

It makes for a showy garden plant, and can be grown with success in cooler areas if started indoors.

On Dec 19, 2002, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

We have enjoyed having this in our garden. It is an interesting shrub/tree with its multi-colored flowers and cotton pods sprinkled all over it. It requires minimum care. It is easy to germinate from seeds and actually is self-seeding in zone 11 and could become invasive. After the shrub becomes loaded with cotton pods the branches start to bend from the weight. I heavily prune my shrub once or twice a year. I have plenty of seeds to share.