Early, Large-flowered Clematis 'Belle of Woking'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Belle of Woking

Flower Fragrance:

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Bloom Diameter:

Medium - 2 to 5 inches (5 to 12 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Jim Falls, Wisconsin

Mc Farland, Wisconsin

On Sep 7, 2009, petonegirl from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

I am from New Zealand & in my region the comparable Zone would be zone 7a-7b...... I have grown Clematis for over 15 yrs & Bell of Woking is my worst nightmare.... I hav over 15 other clematis double & single that I hav grown with no problems.. with the exception of a couple with wilt.... but this one drives me nuts..... the first 2 I grew from a different garden & soil sulked & lost them...now in my present garden with new plant I swore that after 4 yrs of it sulking that I would spade it..... it now has decided to send strong new growth.... but I envy all u gardeners that hav no problems with it....

On Apr 14, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is tough as nails. I pulled three of these out of an almost dead sale plant sale over one year ago. They have resided in the very same pots neglected under shade in the back yard nursery area until now and they have lived and grown back like champs without any help from me. I will finally plant them and post pics when they bloom. Looking forward to seeing what they do with care! Susan

On Nov 23, 2006, cofieck6 from Wichita, KS wrote:

The flower on this plant is so beautiful. It is November 23, 2006 in Wichita, Ks and my plant is blooming. I thought that I would have to wait until spring to see its first bloom. There is a bud getting ready to bloom and it looks like it is going to make it . We have had several nights below freezing and my clemetis still looks healthy among all the other dead plants. This plant really made my day!!!!. Very hardy

On May 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

One of the most beautiful clematis of them all. Belle's blooms are very double and striking, even when they aren't opened all the way yet.

On Apr 24, 2005, ppowers from Owasso, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the third season for this plant and it is blooming profusely right now. It was a little spindly last year and I wasn't sure it would make the winter, but it did and it is blooming.

On Mar 25, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grows in heavier shade than I would have expected, hardy and doesn't need pamering for all that it looks delicate.

Fairly vigorous, it held it's own against what could only be called a monster of an established purple clematis on the same trellis, it's been putting up multiple flowers reliably since planted. Not as many as the smaller flowered varieties, but definetly not sparse.

Only one flush of bloom, but the flowers last for a very long time and are impressively full. Rain does damage the flowers somewhat. They ball up and get brown around the edges much the way peonies do. Likewise, the flowers are somewhat more hidden within the leaves than would be optimal.

Overall, very pleased with it. The blooms are very delicate and exotic looking for... read more

On Dec 11, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this plant. It seems to have been a little slower in establishing than others that I have, but this summer the blooms were awesome.

On Jun 9, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

This was one of my first clematis, and I just love it. Beautiful and LOTS and LOTS of bloom! I've never had a bit of trouble with it, and would highly recommend it if you like the fully double blossoms. It really is a show stopper! Mine is planted where it gets some afternoon shade...it gets VERY hot in full sun in Oklahoma!