Golden Privet
Ligustrum ovalifolium 'Aureum'

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ligustrum (lig-GUS-trum) (Info)
Species: ovalifolium (o-val-ee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Aureum

Duncan, South Carolina

Lenoir City, Tennessee

Urbanna, Virginia

On Mar 5, 2011, 2Bleu_zone8 from Duncan, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Although I have seen many articles about how invasive this plant is (Birds and the wind carry the seeds throughout a region spreading this plant everywhere), all you need do is to cut the flowers before they bloom and dispose of them into your trashcan (NOT your mulch pile!). It is so beautiful and since it's an evergreen, it will keep it's leaves all year round. It looks fabulous in front of taller, dark green bushes. A little maintenance for a great bush.

On Jul 1, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have a foundation privet shrub on the south side of a house that is 50 years old, of which the shrub could be anywhere between 50 and 10 years old. It is either/and 'Aureum' or 'Aureomarginatum', either seem to have a common name of 'Golden Privet'.
It has a rangy suckering sort of upright shape, with lower branches that tend to weep down, and has grown about 3' above the 1 story gutters. The new growth is solid dark green, which seems to mature to a yellow variegation of bright spring green edges with pale green margin. That then seems to bleach out totally to a pale yellow, which scorches. It has the white flowers on both the green and variegated growth, and a permeating smell that I find "malodorous". It is not sweet. The shrub is semi-deciduous in our zone 8 winter, in that i... read more

On Jul 26, 2004, Scarlete from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

With the Florida sun being so intense this has become a very useful semi-shade plant for my front yard. I have two large Oak trees in the front that keep these two shrubs in shade at least 3/4 of the day.

The foilage is gorgeous and accents some of my other darker variegated shrubs well. Too much shade will leave it pretty spraggly.

The leaves are small on mine, biggest is about 1 1/2", most are 1/2".

Blooms for me in late May, early June. Flowers are tiny but clustered on the end of a stem. Flower row is about 5-6" long with the tip having few flowers and gathering more as it goes towards the plant. (I wish I knew the technical term for that, but I hope you get the idea.)

Leaf drop off could be due to need of fertilizer. (It hap... read more

On Jul 13, 2003, Zacnick from Pickerington, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a very fast-growing shrub. In Ohio, it looks very different from the photo posts. Older growth is a darker green, with new growth, bright green. Color is strongest if it gets full sun. Very easy to grow, it is VERY fast growing in any kind of soil here. The bush I have outside my deck has grown three feet in less than 1 year. It is very hardy, evidenced by surviving a few very sloppy transplants. I will be using it as a boundary plant for my very annoying neighbors and their more annoying dogs.