PlantFiles: Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea brasiliensis 'Raspberry Ice'

Family: Nyctaginaceae (nyk-taj-i-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bougainvillea (boo-gan-VIL-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: brasiliensis (bra-sill-ee-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Raspberry Ice

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Thumbnail #6 of Bougainvillea brasiliensis by Xenomorf

By Clare_CA
Thumbnail #7 of Bougainvillea brasiliensis by Clare_CA

Positive asturnut On Jun 23, 2013, asturnut from Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

I grew 'Raspberry Ice' sucessfully as patio plant in summer and house plant in winter in my plant window in New Jersey. It turned into a huge gorgeous monster for me. Stunning plant. Very showy.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Dec 22, 2012, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

'Raspberry Ice' is like two different plants depending on whether you grow it in ground or in a pot. In a pot here in the bay area,it languishes,is easy prey to frost and or rot in the winter. Now,in the ground? It can thrive. As you can see its perfect for a hot sunny raised bed.
Don't judge Raspberry Ice on its potted life. Put them in ground and they can thrive.

Positive Ginger_Lily_75 On May 14, 2009, Ginger_Lily_75 from Indialantic, FL wrote:

Gorgeous shrub and climber. I have five of these in various locations on my property and have just moved a very large specimen from to a much harsher environment in the front yard. New area is very salt-spray laden environment...

Negative zlezena On Dec 27, 2008, zlezena from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

LAS VEGAS
This plant does well in the summer months though does not live through our insanely cold winters.

PHOENIX
GREAT plant, fast growth and extremely hardy!

Positive kayec On Dec 7, 2008, kayec from Mandeville, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I brought these Rapsberry Ice plants in for 4 weeks during 2 hurricanes resulting in all leaves dropping off. I drastically cut them back and hung them back outside. It is now December and they are putting out a tremendous display of PINK leaves and everywhere there is a leaf, there aere 6-10 bracts ready to burst into bloom. I will, of course, move them into my little greenhouse as soon as frost is expected. They have recovered beautifully. I"m in New Orleans *(Zone 8b)

Positive joegee On Mar 9, 2008, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I adore this bougainvillea. The color combination is vivid and startling. It makes a wonderful container grown plant here in Ohio. I overwinter it down in my basement with 160 watts of fluorescents. Temps are in the low 60's. I water very lightly. The photo I have posted is the March 8th bloom.

"Raspberry Ice", to me, is a stunner. :)

Neutral babynuts43 On May 31, 2007, babynuts43 from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just purchased two of these plants and put them in the ground yesterday. While I was familiar with bougainvillea, I had never seen the variegated variety before but once I saw it at my favorite garden center, I knew this was what I had been searching for to put in the corner by the fountain. I am hoping they will thrive as I have been told they would here. My only complaint is that although I was fully aware of the thorns (have bougainvillea in hanging pots every year), I never had the pleasure of tying one to a trellis...needless to say, I have multiple scratches and more than a few splinters! What I can't figure out is why they are all so sore (feels like cat scratches...swelling and red). Either I have an allergy to them or they contain something that causes this effect as a matter of course?

Positive SudieGoodman On Mar 26, 2007, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Lake Sam Rayburn, Southeast, TX

I have Bougainvillea "Rasberry Ice" in 5 gal. pot. Left it outside during winter of 2006. Also, I have "Orange King"

Its March 25, 2oo7 and no new gowth is visiable. May have lost both beautiful plants to 20 deg. weather during winter of 2006.

Just learned today that they are very frost tender. duh!!

Positive artcons On Apr 26, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have had mine for about six years now. I started it as a cutting which I made in Key West. It has taken a good three years for the plant to get accustomed to the moisture in my area vs the dryness of Key West. Since the hurricanes of "04" I have had to stake all my bougainvillea with metal tubing. This variety with it's multi colored foliage and rich majenta color is very showy. The plant can easily be trained to grow as you want it to grow. In early spring new branches can be tied and trained to grow straight up. If you want a taller bush, or you can just leave them alone, then they will bend over to form a more bushy plant. Mine is almost eight feet tall. I often find butterflies resting in the shade on it's branches.
Art

Positive PvillePlanter On Nov 1, 2004, PvillePlanter from Pflugerville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have done much better with this Bougainvillea planted in ground rather than potted. The first couple of years we cut it back to ground level and mulched heavily over the roots for winter. Now we cut it back by about 50% each winter and still mulch the roots heavily. We are training it as a climber against the fence but because it branches and blooms so profusely, several branches still grow forward and arch toward the ground or the bed in front of it. Bracts are a beautiful electric fushia color. Thorns are fairly sparcely spaced but the are large and quite sharp! Soil pH is about 6.5 and bed is slightly raised. About half of the plant is in sun and the other half in part shade. At full size each year it is about 10 feet tall and spreads about 15 feet. The half in full sun begins to bloom earlier but the semi shade side catches up and blooms equally as well.

Positive jkom51 On Nov 19, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Bougainvilleas are very frost-tender, even here in zone 9 coastal Nor. Cal. (grow them in sheltered, south wall, sunny locations), but when established there is nothing more spectacular in full bloom. Also known as "Hawaii", despite the name it is one of the hardiest species. New leaves tinged red. Good hanging basket plant, nice sub-shrub. Plant away from paths, thorns are wicked on bougainvilleas -- in S. America they use them in place of barbed wire fences! Respond well to pruning as they bloom on new wood.

Bessemer, Alabama
Titusville, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia
New Iberia, Louisiana
Scott, Louisiana
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Beaufort, North Carolina