Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Pruden's Purple'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Pruden's Purple

Warren, Pennsylvania

Liberty Hill, Texas

Pasadena, Texas

On Mar 14, 2012, SoCagardner from Escondido, CA wrote:

I have tried this tomato each of the past two summers. The first summer it did not thrive and I got only one tomato. Last summer I planted it in soil that had not had a garden in years. The plant grew well but I ended up with very few tomatoes because of blossom end rot. I had about 12 different varieties of tomatoes last summer and this one was by far the most susceptible to blossom end rot. I gave Pruden's Purple a neutral rather than a negative because it does taste good. Probably not a good choice for my area.

On Aug 26, 2008, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Definitely a positive experience for me. Just the right balance of flavors--- sweet & tart to satisfy my taste buds.
Gave meaty & large (10--14 oz.) oblate beefsteaks on trouble-free & productive plants with no particular disease problems. It slowed production during the hottest part of Summer but regained it's productivity in the cooler end of summer & Fall weather. I will have this variety every year from now on in my garden--- it is a main-cropper for me.

On Aug 8, 2008, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Produces nice size pink beefsteak tomatoes that are lightly smoky and enjoyable. A favorite in my garden.

On Feb 27, 2007, saanansandy from Sue, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grew from seed, easy to start, transplanted well. Seems to have good disease resistance(only problem was hornworms!) Strong stems, tall with excellent production. Didn't particularly care for texture or flavor prefer brandywine heirloom.

On Jul 25, 2006, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Oh my gosh, what a great tomato. Huge and tasty, and so well suited to my Zone 5 Great Lakes growing season. (And I was pleased and surprised to see that it performs so well in other areas too, based on the comments here). Last year (which was, admittedly, an unusually hot growing season) Prudens was pumping out great big, ripe 1 pound heirloom flavored tomatoes by the third week of July which is quite early for my standard "no greenhouse, start indoors from seed, home gardening" techniques. With a more sophisticated system I bet it could really perform wonders, but then again why? It does so well with the plain and simple old fashioned treatment. Not a finicky plant.

On Nov 3, 2005, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I found this to be just excellant fruits consistently a pound or better juicey with a fine like good wine taste.

Have grown it two years with good production for such a large fruit and I will grow it again. I shared seeds with a friend in Canada above New york and she raves about it.

Grown under plastic in my area for heat

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

It was okay; tasted okay not delicious, very large but not very productive, not very attractive.

On Jun 29, 2005, natasjam from madrid
Spain wrote:

I had a fantastic experience with Pruden's here in hot, dry central Spain. I planted it in a spot that receives 3 hours of shade during the early/late afternoon and last year it produced throughout the hotest months. This year it is my earliest larger sized tomato. Should be ready to pick next week.

On Oct 23, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a first class dark pink beefsteak. Sometimes considered an early pink Brandywine, it beats that one quite handily in production, Tends to fade with heat, but good production June-July. Under my conditions, it grows a pretty standard indeterminate vine reaching 10 feet and tolerates the nematodes which take out many varieties for me.

On May 8, 2002, dsrtgdn from Lancaster, CA wrote:

This is a standout tomato in my desert locale. One of 3 beefstake varieties I've managed to get ripe fruits uncracked during summer. Heavy support is required for the 1+ pound fruits. Delicious mouth watering flavor with just the right amount of sharpness to make it better. With an early start I was able to keep harvesting thru the heat of the summer.

I was hesitant about a "potato leaf" having had poor results with Brandywine. This tomato taught me not to make general assumptions.

On May 2, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This hefty beefsteak has a great mild taste.High in sugars with just enough 'bite' to take you to Tomato Heaven.It is a favorite among older folks in this area.

It is a Potato Leafed selection that seems to do well in Southern summers.It shuts down production through the hottest parts of July/August,but resumes bearing when temps fall below 90.

It is a what is called a Pink Tomato.It isn't deep purple like one would expect from the name.It is a little deeper colored than some of the other pinks,but pink,non the less.

Thick meaty interiors with few seeds make it great for sauces and juices.It is great in salsas and heaven on a burger.Many weigh in at over 1 pound,so one slice will cover a piece of bread.Grab the Blue Plate Mayo and make yourself ... read more