Ravenna Grass, Plume Grass, Hardy Pampas Grass

Saccharum ravennae

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Saccharum (SAK-er-um) (Info)
Species: ravennae (ra-VEN-ay-ee) (Info)
Synonym:Erianthus ravennae

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Maricopa, Arizona (2 reports)

Rogers, Arkansas

Indian Mound, Tennessee

Broaddus, Texas

Franklin, Wisconsin

On Sep 8, 2014, atcps from WOODLAWN, TN wrote:

Spectacular grass for the acid red clays of Middle Tennessee. I have not had any issues with seedlings but will keep a watch out. This plant is low maintenance and stunning in full sun. Plant it and stand back and watch it do its thing. It is very tall and needs to be used as a hedge or specimen because it will quickly overwhelm a garden.

On Oct 9, 2013, eriogonum_7 from Castle Valley, UT wrote:

Ravenna grass has fully invaded miles of canyon containing the largest water source near my town in southeast Utah, and is headed downstream to teh Colorado River. The source was apparently landscape plantings, located far from the creek, divided from it by a large ridge. These seeds blow in the wind. Don't plant it if you are concerned with invading the neighborhood.

On Oct 1, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very tough and cool grass. I planted it as a one gallon and I now have 6 flower stalks and it doubled its rootball width in over 5 months. In central Illinois it displays no invasive potential.

On Sep 12, 2009, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

I have a premonition from my experiences with this plant that if it doesn't end up on the noxious weed list here in Western Colorado, it will at least behave as a noxious weed. I have seen it escape cultivation several times, moving quickly into riparian areas.

In discouragement of planting this creature, I recommend several giant-grass alternatives depending on climate:

Sporobolus wrightii (Big Sacaton)
Miscanthus x giganteus (Giant Maiden Grass)
Panicum virgatum 'Cloud Nine' (a big blue switchgrass)Sorgastrum nutans (not as tall, but nice yet)

On Nov 6, 2005, JoniJumpUp from Grand Rapids, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have had this plant 9 years and have divided it 3 or 4 times. When planted in the sun and watered it grows to great heights and spreads the size of the root system. When planted in the shade it does not grow very tall, and may die back after a couple of years. It is very difficult to divide because the dried canes are very hard. You need to chop it apart with a sharp spade or axe. Fortunately the roots do not grow too deep, so if you need to move the entire plant you can dig under the plant to free it up.

On Aug 20, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My bush is four years old. I don't add fertilizer or water and plant is healthy. My plumes are dry in August, many neighbors have new, healthy plumes.

On Jul 3, 2003, heartbewell from Kearney, NE wrote:

This grass is a Nebraska native normally found along river banks.
I started with a purchased pot of Ravenna grass and for the first year it was slow to take off. By the second year, the grass "came into its own" and reached 4 to 5 feet high at the bend of the leaves (the entire leaf reaches 10 feet or more in length).
On its second year, the plant bloomed 12 foot tall (almost bamboo-like) spires topped with semi-full cream colored seed plumes. I have very fertile open soil and as of yet, have had only 5 seeds germinate in over 4 years.
In my experience, the grass is a solitary clump grower, spreading its growth circle each year. Now in its 4th year, the clump grew large enough to shade a section of my small garden and I divided the clump into three pieces (ea... read more

On Nov 25, 2002, FranG from Brighton, MA wrote:

On invasives lists in California.