PlantFiles: Helichrysum, Licorice Plant
Helichrysum petiolare 'Limelight'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helichrysum (hel-ih-KRY-sum) (Info)
Species: petiolare (pet-ee-OH-lair-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Limelight

Groundcovers

Cream/Tan
Inconspicuous/none

Silver/Gray
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

By jkom51

Thumbnail #6 of Helichrysum petiolare by Windy

By zone5girl
Thumbnail #7 of Helichrysum petiolare by zone5girl

Positive coriaceous On Apr 24, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A great foliage plant for hanging down over the lip of summer containers. Self-branching.

Not hardy here, but a great plant for bedding and containers.

'Limelight' differs from the species in the chartreuse color of its foliage. The species is much more silvery-gray.

Positive damatapa On Apr 23, 2014, damatapa from Highlands-Baywood Park, CA wrote:

I wanted something to plant in front of our camellias to meander around and behind them to soften and distract from the house foundation- this plant is awesome! "Limelight" gets considerable morning sun and dappled shade the rest of the day- especially the latter in the winter; are watered with the camellias once a week in the summer and not at all in the winter, regardless of how much rain we have (which has been increasingly scarce). Our climate is mild- hardly ever gets below freezing and only a few days over 90. I just loved the way this plant mounds up and spreads out- I clip it frequently, point it in the right direction, and cut off damaged/dead leaves. I am trying "licorice splash" this year in a similar area- hope it works there, too!

Positive vossner On Jul 11, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow mine in a pot and have to keep watered. However, it is extremely easy to kill it w/ overwatering.

Positive joycou On Jun 2, 2010, joycou from Riverview, FL wrote:

can i propagate helichrysum in water

Positive robcorreia On Jul 17, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Very pretty plant. Easy to propagate from stem cuttings!

Positive leucantha On Nov 14, 2005, leucantha from Loma Linda, CA wrote:

Grows well for me in inland southern California, only 40 miles from Palm Springs. Drought tolerant when watered deeply but infrequently. Stands out and brightens in dry shade. I put it among plants with that contrast in leaf color, size, and shape, and then let it crawl all over, among, through, between them. Can be started from branch tip cuttings in the spring. Try with liriope 'silvery sunproof' gold-striped grass, with pigsqueak, and with echinacea. Also with salvias.

Positive Dunedinduo On Oct 4, 2003, Dunedinduo from Cranston, RI wrote:

Plant enjoyed its summer in my New England garden. I left it potted but transplated X1. I've now moved it indoors to enjoy a sunny window. This will be a test for us both. Has anyone info on ph tolerances before I get into trouble?

Neutral Dinu On Mar 10, 2003, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

As far as its water needs are concerned, it must be watered, not over watered. I don't think it is 'drought tolerant' because the leaves droop if it is not watered for two days. In Summer, I have to water it everyday. The leaves emit a very pleasant odour when touched.

Positive jkom51 On Nov 22, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Just put this in last month (Oct 2002) so we'll see how it gets thru the wet winters in zone 9 coastal northern California.

Grown as an annual in other zones - very frost tender.

Sept 2003: All the helichrysums do very well in our mild winter/cool summer Mediterranean climate. Planted in moisture-retentive compost and mulched, they can get by with very little supplemental watering even in summer, but moderate watering (along with good drainage) encourages them no end. I find it necessary to prune them back or they overrun other less aggressive plants. My 'Limelight' is responding to its aggressive neighbors (canna lily clump and white-flowering solanum potato vine) by growing upwards into the potato vine's arbor! Like lambs' ear, a pruning regime helps eliminate the dead undergrowth.

Clayton, California