Early, Large-flowered Clematis 'Niobe'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Niobe

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Bloom Shape:

Bloom Diameter:

Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Group 2 - Repeat bloomers; prune immediately after flowering

Group 3 - Summer/Fall bloomers; prune hard in early spring

By simple layering

By air layering

By tip layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Vincent, Alabama

Marshall, Michigan

Pinconning, Michigan

Traverse City, Michigan

Hopkins, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Brunswick, Missouri

Paris, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Wichita Falls, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

Chantilly, Virginia (2 reports)

Gretna, Virginia

Cascade-fairwood, Washington

La Conner, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ripon, Wisconsin

Schofield, Wisconsin

On May 12, 2013, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is my third summer with this plant. I bought it because the pictures showed a true red flower. However, its much darker than most pictures I've seen. Even so, its been very hardy in my zone 4 garden and growing like crazy this year.

On Apr 20, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Niobe clematis is a multi-stemmed deciduous vine with a twining and trailing habit of growth. A relatively low maintenance vine. It is a strong bloomer in my garden, where it grows in full sun, inground. I read sources that categorize it as a Group 2 clematis and other sources that categorize it as a Group 3. In my garden, it is in full bloom in mid April, with scattered repeats.

On Apr 25, 2011, desertbunny from Organ, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've grown this clematis for ~ 4 years--it gets better every year. This year it survived a bad winter with some uncharacteristic minus 14 degree nights! It blooms in March-April here and can manage in 30 degree changes of temp in a single day/night and in frequent 30 mph winds with gusts of 50 mph (lower part of plant on a trellis behind a 5' stone wall, but flowers exposed). It also survived my novice attempts since this was the first clematis I grew (have 6 now)! I'm uploading a pic of this year's status (4/11)

On Aug 22, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms May-July in my garden.

On Jun 6, 2008, sherpo1 from Maryville, TN wrote:

Love the burgandy, velvety flowers of this clematis! Try planting on a white picket fence for an outstanding display. It flourishes about 18" away from my air conditioning / gas heating unit. The warmth given off by the exhaust in the winter keeps it green most of the winter and the plant growth and bloom seems to take off earlier in the spring.

On Apr 27, 2008, kimberlihiggins from Little Rock, AR wrote:

I purchased my Niobe at a Farmers Association in spring of 2007. As normal for me it did not get planted until this spring. Terrible right? Well, even after wintering in its original nursery pot, once planted it took off.

On Feb 16, 2008, QCHammy from San Tan Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grew this plant in Grand Forks, ND with no special protection or care. It's rated at zone 5 for hardiness but let me tell you it did fine in my zone 3b garden, in fact you might say it was thriving.

On Sep 2, 2006, Raper from Seattle, WA wrote:

My wife and I bought a start of this beautiful plant in February and had it growing indoors until spring. Come spring time we planted it outside with some nice mushroom compost where there was sun for the plant and shade for the roots.

Soon after planting, my wife accidentally clipped (don't ask how) the top of the vine off. Since then, and it's early September now, the plant hasn't done ANYTHING. It's not dead from what I can tell, but there has been NO growth.

On Jun 29, 2006, rsquared from Finger Lakes, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one of my strongest and longest bloomers. I love the color and size. It is usually covered with flowers!

On May 31, 2006, smkennedy from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

It is a great color, and gets lots of good comments from garden visitors. In zone 4a, it dies back mostly to the ground with no winter protection, but grows very fast to cover my split rail fence once growing season starts.

On Feb 17, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Large red flowers in abundance. Blooms through Fall.

On Feb 12, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is probably my favorite red clematis because of its rich velvety color and texture. It is a good growing plant with tons of blooms. Its main bloom time here is late spring/early summer with repeat blooms into late summer. I also like the foliage, however, it's had to see through the masses of flowers. (Introduced by Noll 1970)

On Jun 21, 2005, mellielong from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted this last fall in zone9b. I know clematis aren't supposed to do much in their first year, but mine bloomed about a week ago. I have this one growing next to "Miss Bateman" (which also bloomed oddly enough) and I love how the flowers are similar but the colors contrast. Definitely easy to grow, I just made sure the roots are sheltered by my gardenia, and the tops are steadily making their way up the fence!

On Jun 21, 2005, cmccrell from Honeoye Falls, NY wrote:

This plant was already "at home" when we bought our house. It is planted at the base of an arbor over a step to our deck. Roots are shaded, arbor side faces southeast. The plant has not climbed more than halfway up the side of the arbor, but it has bloomed profusely beginning about May 20, and continues as of June 15.

On Mar 3, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

A very reliable bloomer for a month or more. The flowers look like they are made of burgundy velvet. I only wish the vine grew larger.

On Nov 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This clematis flowers from June to July and can grow to a width of 3'. It received the Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society.

The tops of Clematis prefer full sun while their roots prefer a cool, shady area. It is best to heavily mulch the base of the plant, or as other gardeners have done, plant groundcovers nearby.

On Jul 15, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've had this for four years; like my other clematis, it was weak the first two years, better each year since.

Interesting to see this one is rated part shade. I hear they do not like to be moved, but since mine in full sun looks burnt out by early summer, I'll try planting it's seeds in some shade.

Niobe was sold in catalogs as "Red", but mine is burgundy like the pictures here.

On May 24, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is my strongest, longest blooming clematis - now that it is well established. Doesn't get too big, either.

On May 23, 2003, DeeSteveH from Gretna, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Again, like the jackmani, this plant has thrived since I added ground cover (sedum and forget-me-nots) to keep the roots cool.

On Jan 25, 2003, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

An excellent and very hardy Clematis!

I love the melding of Clematis, Ferns, and chartruse foliage. It's a lovely combo.

On Nov 23, 2002, yvana from Stone Mountain, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a Jackmanii-type Clematis.