Ornamental Strawberry 'Lipstick'

Fragaria x ananassa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fragaria (frag-AY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: x ananassa (a-NAN-ass-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lipstick
Additional cultivar information:(aka Stickbolwi)
» View all varieties of Strawberries

Vancouver, Washington

Woodinville, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 18, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Disease resistant, ornamental but not as floriferous as I'd like. After the first flush, it only produces an occasional flower. Few fruits.

This is hardy to Z3.

This is a hybrid between Fragraria x ananassa and the marsh cinquefoil, Comarum palustre (formerly Potentilla palustris). Such hybrids have been named Potentilla x rosea, and are sometimes referred to as Fragraria x Potentilla hybrids.

The cultivar name is 'Stickbolwi'. "Lipstick" is a trade name.

On Jul 17, 2014, techknitter from Madison, WI wrote:

Lipstick is a wonderful plant, and, strange as it may seem, does not need soil to grow. I've had Lipstick grow in pure leaf mulch over a foot thick, in a wood-bark path (underlain with weedproof fabric) in cocoa-hulls (also underlain with weedproof fabric). In all these situations, the roots of the pant did not (could not) reach the soil. No fertilizer is used with leaf mulch, bark chunks or cocoa-hulls.

I have grown Lipstick in soil, also, but the plant is not as vigorous there--go figure!

There seems to be some confusion as to whether Lipstick fruits or not. In my experience, the older and better established the bed, the more fruit you will get. Newly established beds (from daughter-plant offsets) simply won't make fruit, for me, anyhow.

... read more

On Apr 30, 2012, LouInTX from Winnsboro, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought 3 of these in fall of 2010 while living in zip 77388 (Spring TX suburb of Houston TX). Planted in my semi shaded raised flower bed where they produced beautiful flowers/foliage but few fruit. Was retiring to zip 75494 8 miles southeast of Winnsboro TX (northeast TX) late 2011 and was not going to leave these beauties behind (have not seen them again in the nurseries) so I prepared a planter with soil from my compost, transplanted to it and brought them with me in Feb 2012. They are still in the planter in my front yard flower bed, facing South with our afternoons topping mid 80's and are not only beautiful with foliage and flowers but are prolifically producing fruit. The fruit were odd shaped but now are long plump juicy sweet fruit! You would think someone sprinkled sugar o... read more

On Feb 11, 2011, DianaBerry from San Diego, CA wrote:

In Zone 9-10, this plant blossoms all year long. It will produce more fruit if it is in a sunnier location and kept watered and fertilized. The fruit is red on the outside, whitish on the inside, and has a sweet perfumy flavor - I wish it produced more! Spreads eagerly.

On Jun 17, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant has been very hardy in a zone 4 rock garden. It is totally unprotected. I'm happy that I put it within rock crevices, as it could become uncontrollable if given free rein. The runners will extend 3 feet or more over the rocks, but fortunately it is easy to cut them off if you don't like where they are going. I have found it to bloom profusely for quite a long time. Haven't seen fruits yet, but it's early in the year. I also planted Pink Panda, and I think this one is more vigorous and better flowering.

On May 10, 2009, wafarmgirl wrote:

love it! great for filling up & spilling over the strangest deck planters that are level with my deck. I am zone 6 even though we are a seattle suburb due to my altitude. it is hard to find something pretty much everblooming & evergreen that fills the funky planters & spreads to fill width. looks nice next to your "edible" strawberry pots. highly recommend for difficult filler areas where you need something low growing. pinching off the fruit is a great tip for keeping them blooming longer. thanks daves garden site & gardeners for the idea!

On May 31, 2008, Lodewijkp from Zwolle
Netherlands (Zone 7a) wrote:

Can be invasive in frostfree area's, still it's easy to control and is very sensitive to herbicides.

i had not any encounters with diseases or pests, snails like it less then normal fragaria's and the foiliage is nice evergreen.
Grow it in a sheltered space if you live in zones lower then USDA 6.

Can grow in shade or partial shade but won't get any fruits; it needs alot of sun for fruit production, it is not a reliable fruit producer and the fruits are often small.
Hybridize it back to other fragaria's for better fruit production , and it can be crossed with alot of potentilla because it it one of it's parents.

Experiment with it !

Blooms from late april to early winter, blooms a... read more

On Jun 12, 2006, mboston from Granville, NY wrote:

I planted one clump in a northwest facing border of my zone 4 garden last year. This year, it has grown by runners to cover the ground over an area of 5'X5'. For me, the flowers are beautiful, and copious, with a hot pink color that is very tropical looking. It's true that there are not many berries, but I am growing it as an ornamental, and it has done excellently for me in that respect. I would recommend it to any gardener on a budget who would like to cover a good size area without spending alot of money. It's also something different to use as a ground cover.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

'Lipstick' spreads fast, but only blooms for a short span of time, and the blooms aren't that obvious. I moved them from a prime spot and put them in a poorer spot that I didn't care if they took over. I've read that they may produce strawberries, but mine never have. For me a better ornamental strawberry would be one with big red berries on it! My information says that it is hardy in zones 5-9. Blooms mid May to early June in my garden.

On Nov 24, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

This Fragaria was developed in 1966 by crossing the garden strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa) with marsh cinquefoil (Potentilla palustris) which has red-purple flowers. What resulted is an excellent ground cover that produces less fruit, but large pinkish red blossoms throughout most of the summer until frost. To encourage blooms, remove fruit. It is also well adapted to containers, rock gardens, and patio baskets.