Florida Mahogany, Redbay

Persea borbonia

Family: Lauraceae (law-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Persea (PER-see-uh) (Info)
Species: borbonia (bor-BOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Persea littoralis
Synonym:Tamala borbonia
Synonym:Tamala littoralis

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Saraland, Alabama

Sumter, South Carolina

Sugar Land, Texas

Annandale, Virginia

On Feb 15, 2015, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

It's natural range is well into 7b and into southern 7, so at least that cold hardy. I'm not sure if it has been tried further north. If I decide to, I will update.

On Apr 28, 2011, dave_in_nova from Annandale, VA wrote:

This small tree seems to be completely hardy and evergreen in my region. I have a 15-footer in my backyard in Northern Virginia. The only potential problem I see is limb breakage with heavy snow or ice loads.

On May 21, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

One of the three native Perseas to the United States (not including territories--for example, Puerto Rico has an additional two). All are native in the SE, but P. humilis is endemic to Florida.

Persea borbonia is closely related to P. americana, the common avocado, which has been naturalized in parts of Florida but is not native.

Perseas not related to the true mahoganies. I've never heard of Redbay being called Florida Mahogany, but West Indian Mahogany, Swietenia mahagoni, is native to extreme South Florida and so that common name would be especially confusing.

On Mar 13, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Red Bay (Persea borbonia) is a member of the Laurel family (Lauraceae). However, it is not the true Bay Tree (Laurus nobilis) used in ancient Roman houses which is native to the Mediterranean region. However, Red Bay sports the characteristic, spicy scent of Bay. The plant's characteristic scent is emitted when the leaves are crushed.

Red Bay is also known as Florida Bay. Red Bay is native to the coastal plain of the southeastern United States from eastern North Carolina south through Florida, west along the Gulf coast into Texas and parts of the lower Mississippi Valley.

Red Bay is very useful for wildlife. It provides shelter for wildlife and attracts insects.

Red Bay is usually a tree that is usually 20 to 30 or 35 feet high, although it may ... read more