Virginia Buttonweed

Diodia virginiana

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Diodia (dy-OH-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: virginiana (vir-jin-ee-AN-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Diodia virginiana var. virginiana

Katy, Texas

Longview, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On Jul 18, 2014, countrymowse from Bennett, NC wrote:

I want to use this plant as a ground cover. It is growing beautifully in an area where I have no grass and need some kind of ground cover. I need to know if there are any negatives to using it.

On Apr 10, 2012, visionlx from Kingston, TN wrote:

extremely invasive in the yard; will overtake your lawn and work it's way into flower beds. It is impossible to get rid of once it gets started. It spreads through underground growth and clippings from lawn mower only further the spread and growth of this invasive weed.

On Aug 31, 2010, olka from Katy, TX wrote:

This plant is doing really well, even in full sun and very hot and dry weather (August in TX) without supplemental watering. It actually started showing up in my lawn as a"weed". But frankly, I hope it actually takes over the lawn, because it is thick and luscious, and has attractive small white flowers. It also attracts bees/pollinators and other wildlife. It sprawls on the ground, and therefore does not require mowing. why has no one thought about using this plant in the lawn, instead of your typical bermuda grass?

On Sep 26, 2007, vipanoushek from Carrollton, TX wrote:

This plant has taken over my grass on one side of my house. My grass is nearly gone. It is resilient against general broadleaf weed killers. I will be trying Image for Nutsedge. It is supposed to stop its growth but will take more than one application. - September 2007

On Sep 2, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant spreads easily and covers bare spots and is attractive. It does not seem to bother any other plants and stays very low. Good ground cover.