PlantFiles: Italian Parsley, Flat-Leaf Parsley
Petroselinum crispum var. neapolitanum

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Petroselinum (pet-roh-sel-EE-num) (Info)
Species: crispum var. neapolitanum

Thumbnail #6 of Petroselinum crispum var. neapolitanum by DaylilySLP

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #7 of Petroselinum crispum var. neapolitanum by kennedyh

Positive Clary On Jun 14, 2013, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very easy herb with a moderate flavor. As previously noted, one of the most nutritious green foods on earth. Grows very quickly and over 3 seasons in my area: I plant in March and harvest until deep frost, usually late November. Performs well in the margins of the garden where there is shade some of the day. Also attractive to swallowtail butterflies, so I check the leaves for chrysalis before cutting.

Tip on cutting and harvesting: I've found the best method to be cutting the entire outer stems just above ground level. new growth occurs at the center of the plant. Remove the leaves from the stems in the kitchen. I used to cut across the top of the plant the way you might harvest rosemary, but eventually had a plant that was mostly stems, making future harvests difficult.

Positive dneyder On Jun 12, 2010, dneyder from Sundridge

Just a note that this plant can survive in zone 4 too.

Positive pgcarroll On May 7, 2010, pgcarroll from Belleair, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I plant several of these every fall; they provide us with aromatic, tasty parsley through the winter and into spring. Then they start to bolt here in zone 9b, so we make pesto or tabbouleh out of some of them; the others are left to the black swallowtail butterflies that seem to prefer the ones in full sun. We've seen lots of eggs laid and even a chrysalis or two, but usually the cardinals get them all. Oh well, the birds have to eat, too. I also take a small pot of them on our boat when we go sailing for several months at a time. They do quite well even in the wind, just riding along in our dinghy on davits at the aft of our boat. These do not make it through our hot summers.

Positive napdognewfie On Aug 2, 2009, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

Winters over & returns but not every year. Can be dried or chopped & frozen in ice cubes (just drop into recipe).

Positive Breezymeadow On May 19, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Definitely one of my "can't-live-without" herbs. I never bother with the curly variety anymore except as an occasional garnish.

Although parsley is reputed to be an extremely slow germinater from seed, sown indoors in a plastic-covered flat had mine up in 7 days without any special attention - & this from seed that was a couple of years old.

Grows well both in the garden or in containers, & will tolerate some light shade. Likes richer, moister soil than the Mediterranean-type herbs. As a biennial, it overwinters here, but the 2nd season foliage isn't quite as lush & the plants tend to bolt & go to seed fairly quickly. I tend to leave 2nd season plants to the Swallowtail caterpillars & plant a new crop for my own use each season.

Can be container sown or potted up for indoor winter use, but be forewarned that indoor cats (mine at least) seem to consider it their own private salad bar. I gave up bringing it in for this reason & buy my winter supply at the grocers. I wasn't getting to use much, & my cats had the freshest breath in town!

Positive Kauai17 On May 18, 2005, Kauai17 from Leander, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this parsley. It has grown very fast and filled out nicely. The leaves are big and flat making it easy to chop up. The smell is wonderful and adds a great flavor to any dish.

Positive DiOhio On Feb 8, 2005, DiOhio from Corning, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow this plant for butterflies. It's a host plant for Black Swallowtails. Last summer it grew to over 3' tall in part shade and by the time it flowered it had flopped over from the weight of the flowerheads, creating a safer environment for the larvae to feed.
Anyone that grows this plant for the kitchen be sure to check for caterpillars first !

Positive PurplePansies On Aug 6, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Remember that no matter what any source tells you...... part shade is best for this plant perhaps except in the coolest climate areas.... !!!!...... watering is necessary never uuunderestimate the watering needs of this plant.......... Biennial ....... Leaves are also said to be one of the most nutrient rich foods on earth..... steep for a well...... not tasty..... but good for you tea......... :)

Positive foodiesleuth On May 26, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

My favorite type parsley also...but I have never seen it flower!!!

I couldn't seem to be able to grow this for quite a while, as everytime I tried, snails would come crawling and devour it....this and the past year are the first I have been succesful growing it and have a nice patch in the yard at the moment. No idea of why the snails didn't get it this time...

Positive jjergins On May 25, 2004, jjergins from Abilene, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

I allow this to flower and use it in flower arrangements as I would use baby's breath, which I have not grown sucessfully. My plants have masses of flowers in their second spring and summer.

Positive AnnieMo On Jun 20, 2003, AnnieMo wrote:

Strong flavor, very easy to grow in windowbox or single planter in the window (in the Rockies of Colorado) - takes water and turning the pot regularly to keep a nice round plant. I pinch off the "overgrowth", put it in a zip lock baggy and place in the door of the freezer or give away to friends. Have fun!

Positive Weezingreens On Aug 31, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Italian or Flat-leaf parsley generally has a more pungent, sweet flavor than the curly varieties and is rich in iron, as well as vitamins A, B, & C. It is the choice parsley for drying, as well. Though technically a biennial, it is often grown as an annual herb where it cannot winter over.

Positive Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

My favorite parsley - it has better flavor and is easier to dice than the curly type. Dries nice, too.

Berkeley, California