Easter Cactus

Hatiora gaertneri

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hatiora (hat-ee-OR-uh) (Info)
Species: gaertneri (gert-NER-ee) (Info)
Synonym:Schlumbergera gaertneri
Synonym:Epiphyllopsis gaertneri
Synonym:Epiphyllum gaertneri
Synonym:Epiphyllum russellianum var. gaertneri
Synonym:Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri

Cactus and Succulents

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Brea, California

Desoto, Texas

La Porte, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jul 5, 2015, Mark_B from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

It'll grow in well-draining soil that's half perlite or pumice. Preferably use potting soil instead of cactus soil, because cactus soil mix isn't rich enough. Throw in some perlite and peat moss to make the soil a little on the acidic side.

On Nov 27, 2009, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I purchased an Easter Cactus this past March at my local grocery store. I thought it was neat looking because it was loaded with tiny twisted buds. I was hoping it would be pink. When it openend, I was so pleased! It was pink and I loved the little daisy like flowers. I was also surprised when they closed up in the evening and then re-opened the next couple of days. Very unusual and very neat! I'm hoping for lots of flowers next Spring. If you can find one, get it. You won't be disappointed.

On Nov 24, 2009, steadfast4life from Lincoln, NE wrote:

This was my first acquired houseplant. It was pretty sickly looking. I mistreated it by forgetting to water, potting incorrectly and neglecting it all around. To my utter amazement, it still bloomed. I finally decided to re-pot it correctly and water more regularly. It has amazed me with astounding growth. I'm sold on my Easter Cactus as a super easy starter houseplant.

On Sep 20, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this one for about six years, in a bathroom, low light for 2 years now, before that in my kitchen with good lighting, I have forgotten to water it many time, always puts out new leaves, a treasure to me, no blooms since I acquired it, now outside it looks so happy and thru information from Dave's wonderful group, I know it will bloom happily outdoors! Thanks.

On Jun 1, 2004, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I consider my cactus "Mothers Day". It always blooms the week of Mothers Day.

On Aug 28, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

First we had the Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera bridgesii), then came the Thanksgiving Cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) and the Spring or Easter Cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri). They are named after the seasons of their blooming.

Previously, the botanists used to call them Zygocactus.
These hybrids, with their rather unique flower arrangement, have been in cultivation since early in the 1800s and have had sporadic surges of popularity. The 1990s was just the latest.

Very different from the desert cacti, Christmas Cactus, Thanksgiving Cactus and Easter Cactus require high humidity and moisture, since their forest dwelling Epiphyte ancestors actually live in the branches of trees in the rainforests of southeastern Brazil. Only recently has a specimen of... read more