Satin Pothos, Silk Pothos, Silver Philodendron
Scindapsus pictus 'Argyraeus'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Scindapsus (skin-DAP-sus) (Info)
Species: pictus (PIK-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Argyraeus
Additional cultivar information:(aka Silver, Silver Cloud)
Synonym:Epipremnum pictum
Synonym:Scindapsus pictus
Synonym:Philodendron
Synonym:Scindapsus argyraeum

Silver/Gray

Blue-Green

Inconspicuous/none

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Plano, Texas

Appleton, Wisconsin

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

On Jun 9, 2012, MonicaBrooke from Laurel, MT wrote:

I am going to say neutral as I have just purchased these plants. I purchased one at a large box store and two smaller ones at a large retailer. I hate to purchase plants in this way as they are often neglected. I have considerable experince with house plants so I know what to look for. I had seen this plant in books only so when I seen it in the flesh I bought it. I brought them home and repotted them in suitable containers in a excellent potting mix. One plant showed signes of disease which I promptly treated with a copper spray and it revived. Mine are growing quite fast, both have relatively good light. I put two in my sons room his loves them and says they have swag. I have only had them for about a month so time will tell.

On Jun 4, 2012, dooky from Dotyville, OK wrote:

My husband got this plant for me in late March of this year. After a month the leaves started to die off but after transplanting it into a bigger pot it just took off. This is actually the first plant that I have gotten that has not died on me after a month. It's supper easy to take care of. I only water it once a week and it does really great. When I first got it it didn't have any leaves hanging and now after 3 months the leaves are hanging at about 3 1/2 feet, about 5 or 6 stems. I have it indoors at 65 degrees and it is very healthy and I'm always seeing new leaves pop up. Also I don't have it near a window either. The only light it gets is from the the ugly green curtains in my living room that lets in some light but never direct sun light.
This plant is great for people that d... read more

On Dec 16, 2011, BeniJ from Kentwood, MI wrote:

I bought a small grouping of these at a grocery chain and they few I had turned into beautiful,big leaves. I went back and bought another grouping to add with the previous as I like the fuller look of plants. They don't grow fast but they are growing well. I love them and can't wait to ee how big the leaves will get!

On Jul 6, 2008, staceysmom from (GayLynn) Appleton, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Purchased this about 2 years ago from HD. Beautiful silvery leaves. Very healthy. I transplanted to a larger pot shortly after getting it home. It was a slow grower the first year, hardly any new growth. However it has really taken off this last year. It is full and long, beautiful plant. One of my favorites.

On Jun 8, 2008, tashmoore from Fort George G Meade, MD wrote:

June 2008: I purchased this listed as Philodendron scandens "Green".
This is a great houseplant. It has silvery color mottled on green leaves. Slow growth. I keep it about 8" under a 25watt light (in my curio) for about 14 hours a day so it is very low light, although it might grow faster with more/better light.

Update Dec 2008: Still a great houseplant. I moved it upstairs to an east facing window with a sheer curtian so it gets a LOT more light, but it is still slow growing so far.

On Oct 30, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant with its velvety leaves and diamond dusted appearance. I am rating it neutral because mine died. Could have been my fault, but being that I grow other pothos successfully, I'm not willing to take all the blame.

I would definitely get another one, but in my area they are not that easy to find. Not expensive, just not easily available.

On Oct 29, 2006, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have been growing this house plant for about 5 years .... have a few pots of it. Pretty easy to grow and a nice plant for hanging baskets. I always knew it as "Satin Pothos". The leaves are more like Pothos, thicker than regular philo scandens (heart leaf philo).

On Aug 29, 2006, Plantcrazii from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My plant is also called Philodendron 'Silver', with its scientific name listed as Scindapsus pictus. It has beautiful "silver" coloring on the leaves and the texture of the leaves are like velvet. This is a nice houseplant to use in low light areas.

Jesse

On Jun 12, 2006, g_mendell from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Let me start off by saying I love this plant. I do not love my experience with this plant. I bought it at a local large corporate nursery and quickly realized it was forced in the most horrible ways. It was obviosly just a clump of hydroponically grown stems w/ week roots, and no "root mass". I immediately divided it (big mistake) and gave it the shade the card indicated. It immediately crashed, almost completely. After treated it like any pothos of philodendron, it bounced right back, and is growing nicely.

Mine was labeled as a "Silk Pothos". Always be aware of any plant you buy from a nursery. Check the roots, the soil, the leaves, and the stems.

On Aug 7, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

mine was also label "silver". good house plant. slow grower, low maint.

On Dec 15, 2004, dedgren from Oak Forest, IL wrote:

I got this plant from Home Depot about a year ago. It was an Angel Brand Plant and they called "Philodendron 'Silver'", giving the scientific name as scindapsus picta. Several other garden sites have it as a philodendron also. To me it looks more like a pothos. I loved it when I saw it. It seems rather slow growing, but then each of the two vines I have left started out with one or two leaves. It does well with little light. I have a very small "devil's ivy" I may combine it with. I will probably "train" one of the satins and the devil's to a moss pole, allowing the other satin to trail out of the pot. I originally had 5 or 6 small vines in the original pot. I put the others in a separate pot and sold it along about 40 other plants when I left my last job.

On Jul 15, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

My recent purchase was labeled Scindapsus pictus 'Silver'. It looks just like this photo and the photo of S. pictus 'Argyraeus'. Does anyone know the differences?

I feel sure it will do well here central Florida. I had one many years ago, but lost track of it.

On Aug 7, 2003, tsberg from Denham Springs, LA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I bought this plant under the ubiquitous name "Pothos". I thought it was probably a variety of Philodendron Scandens, but after following many links from the International Aroid Society website, I finally found a photo identified as Scindapsis Pictus. Until then I had never seen another plant like it, either in person or in pictures. It is a very sturdy, gorgeous, and unusual houseplant. Culture exactly the same as Philodendron Scandens, as far as I have seen. Maybe a little slow-growing. I have had mine for 4 years.

On Jul 12, 2003, ebi from BERLIN
Germany wrote:

This plant is a very nice houseplant and much longer than stated above. It can climb or hang - mine is about 8 feet long. It is very beautiful.

On Dec 6, 2002, bayside from Severn, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This beautiful creeper features satiny blue green leaves with silver markings and fine hairs that feel like velvet. Average house hold temp 62-80 F