Wandering Jew, Inch Plant

Tradescantia fluminensis

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: fluminensis (floo-min-EN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Tradescantia albiflora

Baytown, Texas

Broaddus, Texas

Mont Belvieu, Texas

On Oct 18, 2014, MeaganW from Baytown, TX wrote:

The neighbors behind us had a greenhouse and must have planted this stuff over 40 years ago or some got loose or SOMETHING because in my almost 28 years of life my Mother and I have been pulling this stuff up EVERYWHERE. If you are thinking of sticking this stuff in the ground, please think of your neighbors as it is Invasive with a capital "I"!!!

PS- It is also hardy as all get out like other Negative reviews have stated. Cold, Drought, Pest, etc....It can grow in DARKNESS! No light or water? This stuff is EVIL! :P

On Oct 15, 2013, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

A very rampant plants capable of reproducing en mass via cuttings. This plant appears to be hardy here, indeed it survived -4C the winter gone. I think this plant needs checking frequently, but otherwise lovely looking plant with nice white flowers. Appears to be evergreen here.

On Apr 26, 2013, purpleinopp from Opp, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is absolutely hardy here, 8b. I found it under shrubs completely covering the ground around 3 sides of an abandoned house where nobody has gardened for years even before they left. Great container filler, but don't drop any on the ground unless you really do want it covered.

On Aug 7, 2009, mspencer563 from Pittsfield, PA wrote:

Grows well in a hanging basket in Zone 5. I place the basket outside during the summer and move inside before the first frost.

On Oct 1, 2006, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

This is the sort of plant the term 'weed' was invented for. I have, after many hours work over a number of years, eradicated it from my garden. Careful manual removal by gently following strands back and loosening roots was the only way in the end. Every segment has to be removed as it can recover from the smallest portion. I have to check regularly as it tries to recolonise under fences from a neighbours garden. With us drought more than cold checks it temporarily, but there are acres of parkland in this city smothered under a blanket of this weed to such an extent the bushes it covers are unrecogniseable. It is especially bad along watercourses. Never add it to a compost heap unless its been killed by heat first.

On Mar 11, 2005, SamIAm336 from Erie, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great plant for low light offices. I seems to thrive on artificial light. I have one in my office. It started as a cutting 2 years ago, now there are bits of this plant everywhere in our office. Anyone who wants one has a cutting from my original.

On Feb 25, 2005, judycooksey from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

It makes a wonderful hanging basket annual in our area. Our cold winters will kill it if left outside.

On Jan 25, 2005, jrozier from Charleston, SC wrote:

This is a nasty weed here in Charleston, SC. I got it with a palmetto transplanted here, and now it is everywhere.

On Jan 5, 2005, mspam from FRANKLIN, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tradescantia fluminensis is listed as a noxious weed by Florida Dept of Ag and/or USDA. I just purchased residence in Pasco County FL (z9a) where former owner planted in yard and this plant is competing with everything in its way (including the grass). Personally I would avoid planting any of the wandering jews outside of a container in any zone there's even a remote possibility of surviving outdoors.

On Apr 21, 2004, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant, in my zone 9a, is terribly, terribly invasive. I believe that the previous owner of our home planted out a potted bit of this, and now we are literally overrun with it. It is not at all 'tender'. It covers everything, ground, tree, foliage plant, brick, wood, fence, etc.
There is nothing in the herbicide arsenal that will kill it or even slow it down.
Be very cautious!

On Dec 7, 2002, Mitjo from Lappeenranta
Finland (Zone 3a) wrote:

very easy to grow and it really doesnt need much light!